Talk

Advanced search

No cooker and no ideas

(18 Posts)
LowLevelWhingeing Sat 27-Aug-11 13:34:18

We're awaiting delivery of a cooker and have been without for 3 weeks now and my poor children are sick of something on toast/chicken salad.

We have a combination microwave/oven thing and a slow cooker which only seems to work for evil.
Clever MNers, inspire me please!

Thumbwitch Sat 27-Aug-11 13:35:50

Can't you throw a stew/ hotpot together in the slow cooker? or is it really possessed by a demon?

LowLevelWhingeing Sat 27-Aug-11 13:37:59

It works to destroy all texture in the world, one dinner at a time...angry

grin

michglas Sat 27-Aug-11 13:38:54

When we didn't have an oven, we used a worktop halogen oven - glass bowl with a cooking thing on lid, it was about £60.

Thumbwitch Sat 27-Aug-11 13:42:50

My MIL has what she calls an electric frying pan - it's not the greatest thing in the world but I've managed to produce a decent risotto from it.

I have no idea about microwave cooking as I believe they are the work of the devil. grin

LowLevelWhingeing Sat 27-Aug-11 14:02:46

now there's an idea, some kind of portable device. Then we could have stirfry/steaks etc again.

our a george foreman? - do they dry the meat out do you think?

Thumbwitch Sat 27-Aug-11 14:15:36

George Foreman grills are supposed to do wonderful meat - I've never tried one though - I know they make all the fat go away, don't know if the juices stay.

PotteringAlong Sat 27-Aug-11 14:16:21

Do you hAve a BBQ? Get out there with a brolly! smile

nickschick Sat 27-Aug-11 14:18:32

If you used a deep fat fryer you could do sausages,scampi,chicken etc in it.

You can u microwave to heat up tinned steak and ready made mash and veg.

If you ask around im sure someone would lend you their george foreman to have a 'go' of.

Carrotsandcelery Sat 27-Aug-11 14:20:29

When we had no kitchen for 3 long months we borrowed an electric frying pan. It had deep sides so we could boil pasta or rice in it. You would also be able to cook up a chilli or bolognaise in it, transfer it to a bowl for the microwave and cook the pasta in the same pan. Not easy but doable.

We also ate micowave rice and micowave pasta packets. Not the healthiest or most budget friendly way of doing things I know but sometimes you just have to get through.

I think you can cook noodles just in a lidded bowl of boiling water too.

jade80 Sat 27-Aug-11 14:20:32

Can't you cook on a fire or a bbq outside? You can cook almost anything on them with a bit of ingenuity- including curries, full roasts, all kinds of puddings etc.

lilolilmanchester Sat 27-Aug-11 16:03:07

I'd get a little camping stove a bit like this - and plenty of gas cylinders. Would be fine for stir fries/pasta

LowLevelWhingeing Sat 27-Aug-11 20:00:55

thanks all.

I'm hoping it's only going to be another week until New Cooker arrives, so I'll bravely have another go with the slow cooker shakes angry fist at slow cooker

If it's any longer I'll invest in some kind of portable cooking thang.

So, going to try coq au vin and lamb curry with a spice mix from rafi's spice box.

Driftwood999 Sat 27-Aug-11 20:01:09

No need to spend any more money on additional devices. As your microwave is a combi, do a casserole on a low temp' for a long time, followed by baked potatoes on high. Once you remove the casserole, it will stay hot in the pot for the time it takes to do the pots.

Kalypso Sat 27-Aug-11 20:15:14

A Remoska! It is beyond awesome. Before we had DS, DH and I lived in a tiny studio flat that was so small it only had an electric hob. No oven (although we did have a microwave).

My mum bought a Remoska and I never looked back. It's a small electric cooker that looks like a big saucepan - you can cook almost anything in it, it works better than an oven, it's easy to clean, and it's energy efficient as well. I still use ours as much as, if not more than, the oven. It's also great if you are cooking loads of things and have run out of oven space. Can you tell I love mine? grin

Yes, it's expensive (about £110), but honestly, it is definitely worth it. I used it today to cook DS' fish fingers, as it's easier than fussing about with the oven (and as I said, more economical). You can buy it in Lakeland, I think.

rimmerfleadick Sat 27-Aug-11 20:17:31

What about a chuck away BBQ tray.

Canella Sat 27-Aug-11 20:21:57

We're kitchenless at the moment - have a crap 2 ring hob but no oven so meals have also been limited.

Just wanted to say couscous - it requires no cooking and is ready quickly. Has saved my sanity for the last 8 weeks.

lilolilmanchester Sat 27-Aug-11 22:39:33

you can't put stuff into slow cooker from cold tho..... and there are only so many micro/combi meals you can face . sorry Driftwood, I have to disagree with you .. a tenner for a gas burner, which you will be able to use other times anyway is not a wasted investment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now