Talk

Advanced search

Butternut squash pasta

(18 Posts)

Warning - I am going to mention the dreaded pasta bake!

I've got a butternut squash that I was going to roast and put into a curry but I've decided I need comfort food and really fancy pasta. Any ideas for how to make a delicious vegetarian butternut squash pasta bake?

Thanks.

cyb Sat 27-Aug-11 12:15:34

I wouldnt bake it

I would cube and roast the squash (keep skin on) in olive oil with garlic cloves, cherry tomatoes (whcih will explode and make the sauce) onions until nice and soft and caramelly

Cook spaghetti, tip contents of roasting tin,juices and all onto pasta and grate parmesan all over it

DELISH

notnowImreading Sat 27-Aug-11 12:15:48

Roast the squash in chunks first (skin on) then mix with pasta, cream or mascarpone cheese and rosemary (brown mushrooms are nice in there too). I like goats cheese crumbled in but DH hates that bit.

Lovely - thank you both. We've got a rosemary plant and also a sage plant, so I could use one or both of those.

Selks Sat 27-Aug-11 13:25:18

Roast chunks with cloves of garlic. Mix with some creme fraiche and chives to create a sauce, serve with penne and parmesan cheese, and a rocket and balsamic side salad.

I wouldn't do a bake as it could be mushy and heavy imo.

Thank you - that sounds lovely too but dd1 can sniff out creme fraiche at 100 paces and hates creamy sauces, so it will have to be saved for a night when she's not here! That would be a problem with NotNow's idea too.

Might go for Cyb's - but I am funny about tomatoes. Hell! We're not a terribly fussy family (I don't think) but my pet-hate is tomatoes and dd1's is cream!

soymama Sat 27-Aug-11 13:52:14

Do you take the skin off the BNS if you roast it?

callmemalcolm Sat 27-Aug-11 13:54:31

www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/recipes/recipe_directory/p/pasta_with_roasted_squash_and_sweet_potato.html

Soya - depends if I can be bothered or not! I sometimes buy those Waitrose ready chopped packs that are in the recipe Malcolm has linked to - but they have sweet potato in too and I'm struggling to get my head around pasta and sweet potato, for some reason.

SheCutOffTheirTails Sat 27-Aug-11 14:04:08

Roast the squash in small squares.

Brown some butter with some sage (chuck in some pine nuts if you have any).

Use pappardelle or tagliatelle noodles. Mix warm noodles with squash and grated parmesan. Pour the sagey butter on top.

NOM and soooo easy and quick

That sounds good.

Wonder if it could work as a lasagne?

SheCutOffTheirTails Sat 27-Aug-11 14:16:58

You are determined to bake s

smile

I just fancy stodge, I think - have period pain and am having a schlepping sort of day. I suppose I could just roast it and have it with sausages!

SheCutOffTheirTails Sat 27-Aug-11 14:29:21

You are determined to bake some pasta, aren't you? grin

smile

Selks Sat 27-Aug-11 14:42:49

given what you've said about your day, Remus, I think you should go for the stodge and enjoy it grin

smile I ended up falling asleep for two hours - we are having sausage, egg and wedges!

Thanks for all the ideas though - will deffo try some.

soymama Tue 30-Aug-11 21:49:03

Thank you RLPG!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now