Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a healthy flapjack recipe they can recommend?

(8 Posts)
Ginismyfriend Thu 25-Aug-11 07:38:37

DD (12mo) will only eat toast with white bread for breakfast - would really like to get some form of cereal into her but cereal soaked in a bit of milk (or dry, even) just gets flung. I thought maybe some kind of oat-y flapjack-y thing if there was a recipe for one that wasn't laden with sugar? All suggestions appreciated!

Bert2e Thu 25-Aug-11 07:55:59

All the flapjack recipes I know are high in sugar and fat - maybe try toasted bagels or muffins? Or eggs?

BikeRunSki Thu 25-Aug-11 08:02:57

Surely something that is mostly fat, sugar and syrup is never going to be healthly? The oats are a red herring! My DS loves raisin bread as an alternative breakfast.

seeker Thu 25-Aug-11 08:08:21

No- but I do have a delicious recipe I could share. Definitely not healthy though!

onlyaname Thu 25-Aug-11 08:09:42

I make one with oats, peanut butter and honey. I guess it might be alright for your DD once she is over a year.

You just melt honey and peanut butter (in equal parts) then stir in oats ( I use whole rolled oats) and then pop in tray and bake in oven until golden brown... I'll try to find exact details for you. I got it from the High Energy Cook book a few years ago.

Don't agree that flapjacks need be fatty or sugary. Healthy muffins might be good too. I'm sure there must be recipes on here or the web.

Ginismyfriend Thu 25-Aug-11 08:10:44

Aha, I haven't tried bagels or raisin bread yet so these are really good ideas. Thanks. Suspected as much about the flapjack, just become a bit obsessed about the need for oats!

onlyaname Thu 25-Aug-11 08:11:38

bakingonthebrain.blogspot.com/2011/04/peanut-butter-and-honey-flapjacks.html

Ginismyfriend Thu 25-Aug-11 08:14:13

Cross-posted with you, onlyaname. That sounds fab because she loves peanut butter ( just on horrible bread) so definitely worth a go...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now