Talk

Advanced search

Cheap and easy (but impressive!) meal for 10 needed please!!!

(9 Posts)
ilovetomandjerry Wed 24-Aug-11 09:33:27

Any ideas please? Other than a chilli/curry/ pasta!!!

Thanks.

ilovetomandjerry Wed 24-Aug-11 10:55:25

bump

tb Wed 24-Aug-11 11:44:28

Crudites with a variety of dips for a starter
Home-made lasagne with jacket potatoes and salad for a main course
Pavlova or something like choux bunx/profiteroles for a pudding
Fresh fruit salad would also be good, especially if you put lemon peel in the syrup, but unless you can get a variety of fruit cheaply, it can end up eye-wateringly expensive.
Or how about caramelised oranges?

WipsGlitter Wed 24-Aug-11 12:02:24

Jamie Oliver stuffed Cypriot chicken with bread, green salad and new potatoes, the Eton mess and choc cheesecake.

SquigglePigs Wed 24-Aug-11 13:26:33

Starter:
bruschetta (sp?)
home-made pate (smoked mackeral one only has about 4 ingredients and doesn't need cooking)

Main:
Jamabalaya
Paella
Burritos (mince, chicken or veggie with beans) (if you have a trusted chilli recipe just use that!)

Pudding: will leave for others suggestions as it isn't my strong suit - I tend to resort to a tried and trusted poached rhubarb with ice-cream!

Xiaoxiong Wed 24-Aug-11 13:45:37

I find generosity is better than impressiveness, IYSWIM. A heaping pile of something simple is better than fiddly "fancy" things. And serving courses for 10 is a hell of a lot of work and washing up.

Olives and nuts in bowls with drinks while people arrive

Roast marinaded chicken pieces (1-2 per person)
Warm orzo or potato salad
Green salad with feta, avocado, walnuts, salad onions etc (ie. more substantial than just lettuce)
Warm bread, butter
Cheese (I went round for dinner recently at someone else's house and they had a big wedge of a soft and melty cheese together with the leg of lamb - it was really odd but nice as well)

A few different kinds of ice cream/sorbet/frozen yoghurt

Xiaoxiong Wed 24-Aug-11 13:47:20

PS if you have veggies you could do a big leek, blue cheese and walnut tart as well - you will probably find a lot of the non-veggies have only one piece of chicken and a slice of tart.

ilovetomandjerry Wed 24-Aug-11 20:56:28

Thanks ladies for some mouth watering suggestions - now I just have to decide what to go for!!!

Taffeta Wed 24-Aug-11 21:32:39

24 hour slow roasted shoulder of pork. Its divine. Whack it in oven, leave it for a day, pick apart with forks.

Serve with flatbreads/wraps/baps and chilli or apple sauce. Shoulder is a much cheaper cut too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now