Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to make with red lentils? Prefer low fat/cals...

(12 Posts)
naughtyorouttacontrol Tue 23-Aug-11 17:19:52

All I can think of is to put them in soup of veg curry, any other ideas? smile

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Aug-11 17:22:37

if you have plenty you could send some to this poster

she might swap it for some mango juice!

um... for real ideas i'm afraid all i ever use them for is bulking out soups and stews or making dal.
i think you can use them to make lentil burgers

naughtyorouttacontrol Tue 23-Aug-11 17:24:54

grin I've only got one packet. I will look into making dal smile

Make a spinach and lentil dhal type thing. I sometimes use them in burgers if I've not got enough mince.

CareyHunt Tue 23-Aug-11 17:31:46

You can make lovely lentil burgers with them. I cook them ( 1 cup lentils in about 2 1/2 cups water) till they are nice and soft, add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup oats. I fry a chopped onion, and maybe a pepper or some celery if i have it, then mix it all together, season it ( salt, pepper, maybe some cumin) and make into burgers. You can fry them or cook them in the oven ( couple of minutes on each side to fry...about 10 mins. in oven) and they keep in the fridge for about 5 days.

naughtyorouttacontrol Tue 23-Aug-11 18:51:04

Oh the lentle burger sounds nice, thanks for the recipe, is this low is cals?

CareyHunt Wed 24-Aug-11 14:33:23

confused TBH, I don't really know. It must be, surely? Especially if you do it in the oven rather than fry.

<slopes off and waits for someone more knowledgable to come on>

Laquitar Sat 27-Aug-11 21:46:09

We eat them in jacked potatoes instead of baked beans. (cooked with grated carrot and tin of chopped tomatos)

Or stuff red peppers and some grated cheese ot top and bake. In aubergines too.

bluebump Sat 27-Aug-11 21:50:16

I put them in a carrot and ginger soup to bulk it out a bit, or in lasagne, or dhal.

Google Nigella's vegetarian chilli recipe - tis pretty good although you will almost certainly need more spice than she says.

They are lovely in a soup made with spices and coconut milk.

TCOB Sun 28-Aug-11 15:39:24

Delia's Moussaka in her vegetarian recipe book is amazing - very filling and can be low-fat if you adjust the white sauce ingredients a little.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 28-Aug-11 15:42:55

You can make bolognaise with them instead of mince, chilli in the same way, cook them with onions and tomatoes and sausages to make a sausage stew, cook them with veg and a touch of curry powder and top with sliced potatoes to make a hot pot...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now