Talk

Advanced search

Freezing fresh cream

(3 Posts)
onadifferentplanettoday Tue 23-Aug-11 09:16:20

ds made an amazing choc cake yesterday filled and topped with double cream ,crushed meringues and choc. it turned out rather bigger than anticipated and even with another slice each today there is still going to be at least half a cake left. the neighbours who usually welcome donations of cake are away and I really don't want to waste it. Can i freeze it and if so would you freeze it as a whole half a cake or in slice?.Any advice most welcome.

Xiaoxiong Tue 23-Aug-11 10:43:19

My first thought was no, because of the chance the whipped cream might liquefy if it doesn't have some sort of stabiliser in it (like gelatin or something) though perhaps the crushed meringues might give it some body... Most cake freezing advice usually says freeze the layers alone, triple wrapped in cling film, and assemble after defrosting the layers.

But if the alternative is that you will bin half a cake, then you might as well try it! The worst that can happen is after defrosting is you might need to scrape off the old cream and whip some more.

I would probably defrost it slowly in the fridge though, to give the cream a fighting chance of staying solid. No idea whether a slice or whole would make a difference...

Let us know the results of your experiment!!

onadifferentplanettoday Tue 23-Aug-11 14:54:38

Thanks for the advice,unexpected visitors managed to demolish it so no need for freezing!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now