Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good recipe for scones?

(11 Posts)
ThePetiteMummy Mon 22-Aug-11 18:41:05

That's it really. I'm sure they're very simple, but I can't say I've had much success in the past. We're having an afternoon tea party for my birthday in a couple of weeks, and I wanted to do scones to give everyone, probably no more than 20 people. Also, can they be made in advance, then baked fresh?

Many thanks for any help with this.

ShootinTheBreeze Mon 22-Aug-11 18:45:44

Mine are in old money:

1lb SR Flour
2tspn Baking Powder
3oz Butter
1/4 Pint Milk
Handful fruit if required

I chuck everything in food processor, a couple of whizzes (just enough to mix), tip onto floured board, barely touch it if poss, cut, bake at 180 for 15ish mins.

Delia's never fail me.

Bloody hell. Thanks. I want them now.

ShootinTheBreeze Mon 22-Aug-11 18:48:36

Oh and I wouldn't bake them too far ahead. Could have them ready in the fridge, and pop into oven. They're lovely warm.

ShootinTheBreeze Mon 22-Aug-11 18:49:13

I want them too now. Dripping in melted butter.

Curse you OP.

Deesus Mon 22-Aug-11 18:51:49

I always use my be-ro cook book. Just had quick google and they have the recipe on line too!

www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm

ThePetiteMummy Mon 22-Aug-11 19:00:46

Thanks everyone, sorry to get you all salivating! grin. I must say, Delia's do look good. I usually turn to her on all baking matters, but I just remember being disappointed with her scones at my last attempt. This seems to be an update on my recipe though, it's quite an old one. Sounds like I'm best making them on the day.

madmomma Tue 23-Aug-11 20:18:24

Nigella's are brilliant. 'Lily's scones' they're called. Recipe in the domestic goddess book. So easy, and dead impressive. Best to add raisins though IMO

TheSkiingGardener Tue 23-Aug-11 20:46:29

Scones ( unless you go for buttermilky, fancy ones) are not that different from pastry. You need to barely handle them and then cut them very sharply. I would also go for doing them fresh. Have all the ingredients pre weighed and then chuck them in, stir until just mixed. Handle very lightly, roll cut and bake.

I also want scones now. With jam. Boo

ThePetiteMummy Wed 24-Aug-11 19:58:04

Thanks Madmomma and Theskiinggardener. Think I'll do a practice batch beforehand to make sure they'll be ok!

missorinoco Wed 24-Aug-11 22:09:05

These scones are divine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now