Talk

Advanced search

Should I bin this fish, or will it be OK?

(9 Posts)
BurningBright Mon 22-Aug-11 17:10:55

Bought some breaded mackerel at the weekend and put it straight into the freezer. When I looked at the packaging this morning to see if I needed to defrost it before cooking, I noticed a 'Not suitable for freezing' label. It said the fish has already been frozen and defrosted.

So, is it safe to cook and eat? Or would you not risk it?

nannyl Mon 22-Aug-11 19:53:10

if you bought it this weekend id eat it....

you could be eating it now if you had kept it in the fridge.... but you didnt, you kept it even colder.... if it would be edible from the fridge today it wikk be fine from the freezer tomorrow

although i wouldnt use it in several months time

nannyl Mon 22-Aug-11 19:53:22

if you bought it this weekend id eat it....

you could be eating it now if you had kept it in the fridge.... but you didnt, you kept it even colder.... if it would be edible from the fridge today it wikk be fine from the freezer tomorrow

although i wouldnt use it in several months time

slartybartfast Mon 22-Aug-11 19:54:13

i wouldnt risk it

BurningBright Tue 23-Aug-11 11:13:01

Nannyl - the day I bought it was the 'use by date', hence the immediate freezing. So if it had been in the fridge I wouldn't have been using it now. Does this change your view?

Bunsouttheoven Tue 23-Aug-11 11:21:49

Bin it, you'll regret it if you end up looking at the toilet bowl for hours but probably won't regret the couple of quid that you've wasted.

nannyl Tue 23-Aug-11 11:52:09

oh....
in that case i would bin it too.....

as buns said not worth making yourself ill

CornishPatsy Tue 23-Aug-11 13:15:45

Would bin it - if it was at useby date, it was prob quite old already. Not worth risking a sore tum

BurningBright Tue 23-Aug-11 14:34:16

That was my instinct... I just really resent wasting food. But definitely not worth being poorly over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now