Talk

Advanced search

Low salt diet

(5 Posts)
GoinCourtin Sun 21-Aug-11 12:19:10

I've started to follow a low salt diet. I dont add salt to anything I cook, and avoid the cheese, crisps etc but does anyone know of food which has a high salt content which you wouldnt expect?

Xiaoxiong Mon 22-Aug-11 11:10:15

Any ready meal, even things that don't taste salty
Boxed cereal
Any processed meat (bacon, ham, sausage etc)
Bread from the supermarket
Bought salad dressings
Soy sauce
Gherkins

In fact, pretty much everything that you buy from the shop that's been processed already in some way seems to have a shocking amount of salt.

Xiaoxiong Mon 22-Aug-11 11:10:47

Oh and bought biscuits, especially hobnobs!

GoinCourtin Wed 24-Aug-11 09:57:21

Oh no thats loads of stuff. Its the things which you dont expect which are the worst - someone told me the other day I shouldnt be drinking sparking water either!

mollymole Wed 24-Aug-11 10:05:28

why would you not drink sparkling water - did not know it had salt in it - just looked at the bottle i have and no mention of any salt/sodium
other wise would agree with above that any thing you buy that is already processed is usually mega salty, even those marked 'low salt' it is 'low' ib comparison with the bucket loads of salt in the others
if you look at the packets and read the ingredients you will be shocked - tinned soup for example is horrendously high in salt
sodium is another word for salt - sorry if you already know this i do not mean to be rude

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now