Talk

Advanced search

Family cookbook you use all the time?

(13 Posts)
Ceolas Sat 20-Aug-11 19:50:34

Our diet's been a bit naff over the summer holidays and I'm a bit bored of our usual recipes. Kids are good eaters and no allergies.

What family cookbook do you use very regularly? I want to buy something new for inspiration!

MayDayChild Sat 20-Aug-11 20:50:50

A slice of cherry pie by Julia parsons.
And old fashioned dairy diary Which I think is still in print n

nannyl Sun 21-Aug-11 09:05:04

ok

I use annabel karmel

forget the baby and toddler part (honestly). It is full of what i call "normal" meals, and has nice recipies for everything.

I got it nannying and have tried so many of the recipies.

Many have become mine and OHs staple quick and easy dinners (I just may adjust quantities and not puree stuff etc) the end chapters of the book are aimed at over 3's and family meals anyway and portioned accordingly...

but if you want normal recipies for normal everyday food + a few extra special things as well, and puddings and cakes etc etc then they are all in 1 book here.

Lizcat Sun 21-Aug-11 14:01:11

A very old 'St Michael' Casseroles book, my mum wouldn't give me her's so I had to search second hand bookshops till I found my own copy.

pregnantpause Sun 21-Aug-11 19:48:06

I love the hairy bikers mums know best, and mums still know best. Recipes are all easy tasty and there's something for everyone.

Herecomesthesciencebint Sun 21-Aug-11 22:19:14

ainsley harriots friends and family cookbook plus hisfel good food.

ind him very accessible, no ridiculous expensive or hard to find ingredients but plenty of variety.

how about getting a few out the library and trying them out first or photocopying recipes you like the look of?

Ceolas Mon 22-Aug-11 10:05:07

Thanks for the suggestions folks, I've been studying them on Amazon and can't decide!

Funny, nannyl, one of our favourite recipes comes from an AK book! Oven barbecued chicken I think (gave the book to a friend years ago).

Taffeta Mon 22-Aug-11 15:57:36

Sarah Raven's Food for Friends and Family. And her Garden Cookbook.

Despite the fact I find her irritating, I cook a fair bit from Tana Ramsay's Family Food too.

theyoungvisiter Mon 22-Aug-11 16:01:04

Nigella's How to Eat is my standby (much the best of all her books)

midnightexpress Mon 22-Aug-11 16:02:53

I donated both the Tana Ramsay books I had to the school Xmas Fair last year, because I never used them. I like Jamie's Dinners. The River Cottage Everyday book has a lot of lovely stuff in it too that I use quite often.

osd Mon 22-Aug-11 16:14:35

I love Grace Mulligan, Julia Child, got a lovely one called long nights and log fires and of course the WI regional books from many different decades, you can find the really old WI on ebay sometimes, I also have a few generic curry and Mexican books.

Also GoodFood online and Cooks.com are good online sources of inspiration.

CDMforever Tue 23-Aug-11 20:44:47

Nigella's How to Eat is my all-time favourite.

Also use Gill Holcombe's "How to Feed your Whole Family..." alot. Fab recipe for Honey, Lemon and Yoghurt Cake.

Another massive vote for Nigella and How To Eat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now