Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone suggest a recipe for me to use up cold roast chicken please...

(14 Posts)
headfairy Sat 20-Aug-11 17:38:10

got a load of cold roast chicken and we're going on holiday in a couple of days and won't get a chance to eat it so I want to freeze it.

I don't have any onions, I have half a yellow pepper, some sugar snaps, rice, pasta, stuff to make a White sauce, couscous, some sliced ham and some carrots... Not terribly inspiring really.

seeker Sat 20-Aug-11 17:42:07

Pie? Blanceh the veg and chop up, chop up the chicken, make a white sauce, chuck the lot in a pie dish, cover with pastry and freeze.

BertieBotts Sat 20-Aug-11 17:42:31

Do you have a slow cooker? I know a great one with what you have there. (Obv if for today it's a bit late)

BertieBotts Sat 20-Aug-11 17:43:18

Oh oops I completely forgot the freezing part blush

Make sandwiches for the trip?

headfairy Sat 20-Aug-11 17:44:44

I do have one Bertie!

Otherwise I was thinking some kind of chicken and ham pie as seeker suggested but I wondered if it might be a bit rubbish if I didn't have any onions

headfairy Sat 20-Aug-11 17:45:26

Bertie.. Could your slow cooker one be frozen afterwards?

tkband3 Sat 20-Aug-11 17:48:27

Why not just make a simple chicken in white sauce? (my mum used to call it chicken a la king, but I don't know if that was a 1970s attempt to make it sound posh smile). Make a white sauce, add a chicken stock cube and a tsp or two of mustard (wholegrain's even nicer) then add the chicken - it's really nice with rice or just on toast. Would work well in a pie with the ham too.

Just a thought though - if you make something that cooks it, again, is it safe to freeze it and then cook it a third time when you heat it through on a later date?

BertieBotts Sat 20-Aug-11 17:56:48

No I don't think so. It's sort of a risotto thing, but uses normal long grain or basmati rice.

Oakmaiden Sat 20-Aug-11 17:58:12

Why not just freeze the cooked chicken and defrost it when you are ready to eat it?

headfairy Sat 20-Aug-11 19:29:44

Can you freeze cooked chicken without it turning to mush?

Tkband... That sounds good. I'm sure it's ok to cook again and freeze. So long as it's thoroughly reheated.

Oakmaiden Sun 21-Aug-11 00:07:10

I have done. I slice it and wrap it in layers before freezing.

LakeFlyPie Sun 21-Aug-11 00:16:43

TK - chicken a la king was my favourite dish as a child in the 70's grin
Must have lots of peas in though and be served on a bed of rice.

(Now known as Chicken a la Ming after the hospital's version failed to live up to an edible standard and was renamed by a lovely and witty patient.)

Reckon you could make the bechamel and just stir the chicken through before chilling and freezing, could add frozen peas to speed up the pre freeze chill.
Then defrost and nuke before serving.

shodatin Fri 26-Aug-11 01:22:31

If you have time before leaving, suggest mincing chicken, bind with small amount of thick, white sauce, add seasoning including plenty of nutmeg then form into croquettes which are then egg&breadcrumbed and deep-fried to heat through. My Dutch friend used to serve these with mustard sauce, as there were always some available in the freezer.

SquigglePigs Fri 26-Aug-11 18:20:34

If you wrap the chicken in foil it will freeze no problem. Or if you're really worried, make some gravy and freeze the chicken in that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now