Talk

Advanced search

ideas for recipes using tamarind concentrate.

(7 Posts)
TheArmadillo Sat 20-Aug-11 15:03:34

Am buying tamarind concentrate to make a dhansak but had to buy a reasonably big pot (had to get it online and was cheapest option cos of no postage). I've had a google of recipes and most seem to be indian (we like but eat a lot), thai (I don't like), and mexican (do like but not really confident in).

I have seen a couple of recipes using tamarind with chipotle, mostly on pork which sound good. I was going to do a big load of pulled pork next week (I freeze it in portions) and usually do bbq flavour, but tamarind and chipotle style sounds nice. The only problem being I cannot get chipotle in any form where I live (have tried before), and online sites I have found charge at least £3.50 postage which is too much. Any ideas for cheap suppliers or good substitutes?

Any opinions on the pulled pork idea or other recipe suggestions?

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 20-Aug-11 17:42:56

Waitrose sell both tamarind paste and chipotle paste, if that's any help for the future.

Can't help with recipes, sorry but I think I have a had a cheesecake flavoured with tamarind and chilli once that was v nice!

I usually put a spoonful in a curry (for that lovely sweet and sour flavour) or use it with chickpeas and chaat massalla to make channa chaat. Or I mix a teaspoon into chopped onions, cucumber, red pepper, tomatoes etc (mango is a good addition) with lots of coriander and some chilli.

Funk Sat 20-Aug-11 17:51:56

This is one of my favourite soups (courtesy of Nadine Absenur)

Sweet Potato and tamarind soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion diced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 litre vegetable stock
1 tablespoon tamari
1 inch piece of giner grated, squeezed and the resulting liequid reerved
dash of tabasco
1-2 tablespoons tamarind paste
salt and pepper

Heat oil, add onion garlic and sweat for 5 minutes
Add sweet potatoes and saute for further 5 mins. Add stock and simmer, covered until tender (10 mins)
Stir in tamari, ginger juice, tabasco and 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste.
Season with salt and pepper and blend 'till smooth.
Serve in bowls with a little extra tamarind paste swirled into each.

Very easy - and delicious. I buy Tamarind paste from the supermarkets (Sainsbury, Waitrose) ..it's in small bottles..Barts I think. Very cheap and very tasty.

Funk Sat 20-Aug-11 17:53:03

Should have read before posting.
1 inch of ginger, grated, squeezed and the resulting liquid reserved.

TheArmadillo Sat 20-Aug-11 18:17:22

Thanks for these ideas - especially the chopped salad one. I was thinking of doing a diced tomato/onion affair to go with/in burritos and wondering what to put on it. Tamarind would be a bit more interesting than lemon juice I think.

We don't have a waitrose near us and our sainsburys is very small so doesn't stock much unfortunately. No local indian type shops or anything useful of that type. We have a huge asda but it sells little of this type stuff.

A couple of years ago I used to live in an area with a very large asian community. Our local shop sold all kinds of spices and similar, plus huge bags of lentils/chapati flour etc and cheaper than supermarket - I got used to having everything I could think of readily available.

Now where I've moved to I struggle to get just a pack of dried chillies (any variety) hmm I had to wait till I went on holiday or visited a friend to get harrissa or smoked paprika. I have found a bag of dried chillies that we were given in a chilli kit as a present so may sub those and hope it will be ok.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 20-Aug-11 20:51:56

Tamarind date cake. Yum!

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sat 20-Aug-11 22:52:53

That looks amazing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: