Talk

Advanced search

has anyone frozen coleslaw

(7 Posts)
whoneedssleepanyway Sat 20-Aug-11 08:19:45

have too much carrots and cabbage to use this week before we go away, I am making coleslaw but wondered can I freeze this? googled it and seems to think you can but was a bit duboius about what it would be like so wanted to see if anyone had done this.

thanks.

Catsmamma Sat 20-Aug-11 08:24:16

oh i can't see that working, it's going to be all wet pappy and slimey when you defrost it surely??

Just chop and blanch the carrots, same for the cabbage if you must freeze them

or make carrot cake!

how long are you gone for? I'd leave them in the fridge for a week without a second thought.

AuntieMonica Sat 20-Aug-11 08:27:30

you can freeze just about anything, but the quality will be affected when it defrosts.

low protein content foods (such as veg) suffer most of all as the freezing process breaks down the hard cells in the food, causing leakage of the water content and making the food appear soggy. or something like that (it's early)

but honestly, the cabbage will be quite nasty if you freeze it raw.

can you braise it then freeze it? it's more edible this way

Thumbwitch Sat 20-Aug-11 08:28:13

Are you making it with mayonnaise? that won't freeze well, iirc, it will probably separate, I wouldn't do it. If you need to freeze, I would have frozen bags of the shredded raw veg, not a coleslaw mix.

Thumbwitch Sat 20-Aug-11 08:30:22

That's true, auntieM - the slow freezing process makes bigger ice crystals that cross the cell membranes and disrupt them, so that when you defrost the veg, the cell walls collapse --> squishy veg.
Forget my idea.
But mayonnaise still won't freeze well.

Spagbolagain Sat 20-Aug-11 08:36:08

Bluegh sounds soggy. I would make a quick carrot soup, and Blanche and freeze the cabbage.

whoneedssleepanyway Sat 20-Aug-11 19:41:02

thanks all, think I will leave the carrots in the fridge they will be ok a week and braise some cabbage (it is red) with the remainder as have frozen that before and think it was ok.

thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now