Talk

Advanced search

Buttercream question... Egg white powder or meringue powder???

(9 Posts)
tigercametotea Fri 19-Aug-11 17:34:22

I am going to make a chocolate buttercream to frost my son's birthday cake. Its based on a recipe on BBC Good Food here - I'm not planning on making the cake on the recipe though btw, I'm going to use a chocolate yogurt cake recipe.

Its my first time trying to pipe out some simple decorations on the caake using buttercream. I am so worried it will flop because I'm not great at piping - have tried before with icing but I suspect the icing itself was too soft that was why the shape did not stay. But this time I will give it a go again. I want a buttercream that's going to keep its shape after piping. I will also be practising my piping with the buttercream on a plate/paper before doing it on the actual cake.

A friend of mine said she adds some meringue powder to her buttercreams if they are too soft for piping. I cannot find any meringue powder where I live, have tried calling cake shops in my area, none of them stock meringue powder. It's a bit too late for Ebay now as I need it by Monday... One of the shops recommended I try using egg white powder instead as meringue powder is actually egg white powder.

What do you think? Egg white powder okay? Is there any guideline as to how much powder to add?? Also if I happen to take a long time doing the icing, should I be refrigerating the buttercream every so often... say, every 10 minutes or so, to keep its consistency?

tigercametotea Fri 19-Aug-11 17:36:28

Forgot to add that I am thinking of adding some melted chocolate to the buttercream recipe I referred to above, to make it a chocolate buttercream.

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Aug-11 17:36:42

i've never used either in buttercream.
if it's too runny then just use extra icing sugar surely?

Lovemybrood Fri 19-Aug-11 17:39:12

I wouldn't use either. I make and decorate alot of cupcakes and cakes. My usual recipe for a buttercream is 1.5oz butter 1.5oz trex and then 6oz icing sugar.

Trex is a white vegetable fat that is found in most supermarkets, its fantastic for helping buttercream to keep its shape.

baguettecut Fri 19-Aug-11 17:40:10

As has been said, buttercream just beads loads of icing sugar to make it stiffer. Egg white is used for royal icing.

GlaikitFizzog Fri 19-Aug-11 17:43:12

Make you butter cream as normal but chill it beofre piping and try to keep your hands cool when doing it. Making up small piping bags with grease proof and keeping them in the fridge until needed is my top tip for non saggy buttercream!

If you want it to harden then i suggest you make royal icing.

poppyknot Fri 19-Aug-11 17:45:47

What is egg white powder?
What is meringue powder?

Have I missed something in the baking repetoire? confused

LmB - thanks for the Trex tip - can picture the packaging!

tigercametotea Fri 19-Aug-11 18:04:37

It would be great if I didn't have to use any of those powders actually! I'm just so worried it would flop or not keep its shape so I am thinking of stocking one of these just in case. The reason why friend says meringue powder is because she says icing can become too sickly sweet and using meringue powder keeps it from getting too sweet but keeps the stiffness. She did also say though that if I add the sugar only very gradually and beat the h** out of the butter I should find I need less sugar... When I try Googling for buttercream recipes online utilising any of these powders, all I get are recipes for Italian meringue buttercreams which use fresh egg white.

tigercametotea Fri 19-Aug-11 18:14:58

Lovemybrood, I think I'm just going to give the Trex recommendation a pop and see what happens. I saw a buttercream recipe online with many good reviews and it uses Trex too and looks good, will try that one out thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now