Talk

Advanced search

Fool proof cake recipe - Kitchen Aid

(6 Posts)
okiecokie Thu 18-Aug-11 14:15:03

I need to make a cake for a fundraising event. I am not too bad at baking but recently my cakes have been shocking. I used to use a hand held whisk and they turned out fine but it broke and I splashed out on a Kitchen Aid and cakes since have been crap. Not sure if I am using wrong tins or over/under beating at wrong speed. Anyway, can anyone advise a fool proof recipe to follow for me ideally to make in a KA. TIA

Aseaandthreestars Fri 19-Aug-11 16:35:01

This is my recipe for a victoria sponge - I always make this in my KA and it hasn't failed yet.

Weigh your eggs - three big ones or four smaller ones.

Use the same weight of butter and sugar and beat together until white and fluffy.

Beat the eggs and add them to mix (plus a bit of good vanilla).

Fold in the same weight of flour (SR or plain with some baking powder).

Pour into lined tins and bake at gas mark 5ish (depends on your oven) for 35 minutes or so.

Cool, spread with jam/buttercream/cream and sandwich together, dust with icing sugar.

stealthsquiggle Fri 19-Aug-11 16:38:30

I do Mary Berry's all in one Victoria Sponge in the KA and it works fine - as long as you remember to scrapte down sides halfway through beating.

Hummingbird vanilla frosting is fantastic in KA - when it all comes together, set a timer and literally leave it beating on fairly high speed for 5 mins

okiecokie Fri 19-Aug-11 17:14:50

thanks. Will give it a go at the weekend. Do you add beaten egg bit by bit or all at once?

Yes, HB buttercream works really well as does the cream cheese frosting! I put a tea towel riund the KA too to prevent a film of icing sugar covering the whole kitchen!

Aseaandthreestars Fri 19-Aug-11 17:22:09

Bit by bit, or pour it in in a very thin stream. If the batter looks like it's going to curdle then mix a spoonful of the flour in to stabilise it.

What's HB buttercream?

stealthsquiggle Fri 19-Aug-11 17:55:08

HB buttercream = Hummingbird Bakery Vanilla Frosting (aka buttercream, but tastes nothing like the stuff from childhood butterfly cakes)

I do the tea-towel round the machine thing to prevent "icing" the whole kitchen as well - works even better if the tea towel is damp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now