Talk

Advanced search

Autumn/winter pudding ideas please

(23 Posts)
Stillchuckingit Wed 17-Aug-11 14:28:21

I'm re-jigging my meal plans ready for the start of school in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for ideas for healthy winter puddings please.

However hungry she is, DD (8 yrs) will only eat a certain (reasonably good) amount of main course and then always asks "what's for pudding?" As she is thin as a post, I would like to capitalise on the opportunity to get some extra vitamins in to her and have decided to try and "up my game". (I've never really done official puddings before - it's usually fruit from the bowl, or yoghurt. Occasional crumble on a Sunday. But she's never very keen.)

So far, the only things I can think of are:
apple pie
bread and butter pudding
fruit compotes with ice cream
gooey ginger cake
baked pears
baked apples

Any other ideas please? (I'm afraid I am horrified by custard/ rice pudding and can't be persuaded to cook either.)

Came on to say rice pudding - it's lovely!

Natural yoghurt with a bit of vanilla essence in it, plus some poached plums or apples.

Google Nigella's recipe for Blackberry crisp - I often do it with frozen raspberries, as this works out much cheaper than blackberries (unless you can pick some now and freeze them).

Baked bananas.

Carrot cake or muffins - or courgette cake.

Stillchuckingit Wed 17-Aug-11 14:38:29

Oohhh, like the Blackberry crisp idea, thank you Remus. I always find Nigella's recipes work well too. Had forgotten about baked bananas (used to do them years ago with apricot coulis ....)

[shudder] at wobbly milk products!! Sorry!

Oooh yes, courgette and carrot muffins/cakes another good idea - thanks again - will add to list

BlueEyeshadow Wed 17-Aug-11 15:46:26

Banana loaf is good if you have brown bananas to use up. Can add raisins and nuts for extra calories.

Fruit trifle without the custard?

Winter pudding - summer pudding but with added spice - use frozen berries or dried fruit.

Upside down pineapple sponge - have got a good recipe somewhere.

Crumble! Apple and almost anything, rhubarb, plums, apricots (dried or frozen) - can be served with ice cream instead of the dreaded custard...

feetheart Wed 17-Aug-11 17:01:00

Most of my winter puddings seem to involve chocolate and stodge so possibly not ideal smile
However could try fruit 'creme brulee' - fruit on bottom then greek yoghurt then demarara(!). Grill or, for extra wow, zap with blow torch! Can be made for one or one hundred.

Will think on.

SuburbanDream Wed 17-Aug-11 17:08:45

I had a lovely recipe for a kind of crumble-type fruit pud but can't find it online (it was from an Annabel Karmel book but it's not on her website). I think this delia one looks similar. You can use any fruit really and it's dead easy. Yummy hot or cold

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/sweet/baked-apple-and-almond-pudding.html

Ooh another good thing for having with fruit compote (esp plums) is to put some natural yoghurt in a shallow dish then cover it with a layer of brown sugar and leave for a few hours. It goes all fudgey and yummy.

Stillchuckingit Wed 17-Aug-11 18:54:29

Lots of great ideas here. Thanks everyone.

Hello Blue! Will definitely be adding pineapple upside down cake to list (first thing we made in cookery lessons at school a million years ago) and winter pudding and trifle without custard are good ones (easy to put together too). Banana cake gets definite tick - we are always throwing them away.

Hello Feetheart! DD would definitely love the brulee but I have to run out of the room if there is anything custardy/wobbly about!! Dh will make it though (he would love the blow torch action!)

Thanks for the link Suburban that definitely is the sort of recipe I am looking for! Have a few Annabel karmel books so will search for original too.

Thanks again Remus that does sound good (and healthy) but I am borderline with regards to yoghurt. Can cope will small stiff children's fruit flavoured ones (the ones that are probably full of additives in other words) but I find the texture of Greek or natural yoghurts a bit challenging. Again, will put that recipe on list for dh to make though!

bagelmonkey Wed 17-Aug-11 18:56:13

You could make a healthier sticky date pudding.

How about making a smoothie or milkshake instead of a pudding sometimes?

If you can cope with the yoghurt, blend fresh mango (or tinned mango, or tinned mango pulp) with natural yoghurt, milk and a bit of icing sugar to make lassi. Serve over ice or with a spoon of vanilla icecream on top to make it extra pudding-like!

Nigel Slater's Real Fast Puddings has ideas for lots of fruit-based and v quick puddings too.

PotteringAlong Wed 17-Aug-11 20:12:22

Banana pancakes?

Microwave syrup sponge pudding. Sorry, it's in ounces - are you metric?

Butter a pyrex pudding bowl (ours is about 1L I think) and put 2tbsp golden syrup in the bottom.

Beat together the following, preferably with electric hand whisk:
2 oz soft butter
2oz sugar
1 egg
4oz SR flour
3-4 tbsp milk

Put it on top of the syrup. Microwave on full for 8 mins, a bit trial and error depends on your microwave, ours is 800W. Serve with custard or ice cream

Stillchuckingit Thu 18-Aug-11 11:45:55

Hello Whoknows! Snap! I've been looking for a microwave pudding idea - speed being of the essence and all that - it looks perfect! Don't worry about ounces btw - can easily convert. Thanks!

Thanks Pottering and Bagel. Pancakes (with apple compote) are often on the menu for when she comes in from school (very traditional Belgian after school snack) and I will definitely look up some date recipes.

Remus again, I think the smoothie/milkshake idea will probably fit in the 'healthy after school snack category' as she's usually hungry and thirsty then. I may even have that Nigel Slater book - thanks for the reminder!

Need to overhaul after-school snack AND pudding menus so these will come in very useful.

SuburbanDream Thu 18-Aug-11 12:01:27

This thread has reminded me of "Saucy Sponge" - does anyone remember this pud from the 70's/early 80s? You mixed up the sponge mixture and put it in a dish then put the fruit sauce on top. When you cooked it, the fruit magically went to the bottom and a lovely sponge grew on top smile

Stillchuckingit Thu 18-Aug-11 12:56:12

Oooohhh yes Suburban grin

That's definitely one for the list!

feetheart Thu 18-Aug-11 22:48:12

I can heartily recommend the Chocolate Cake in a Mug as a microwave pudding (though I fail on the fruit content again) Very quick, very easy and a dead cert to impress visiting school friends who not only get to help make it but then eat yummy choc cake that appears as if by magic smile
I can make the recipe-for-one fill 3 Denby tea cups therefore feeding 3 children (or 2 children and self)

Stillcrackers Thu 18-Aug-11 22:54:48

Thank you again Feetheart!

Ironically, I think I have posted the recipe on here myself (my sister sent it to me) but of course now I can't find it anywhere ... Will Google. As you say, it will be perfect for visiting dc.

Stillcrackers Thu 18-Aug-11 22:55:17

Sorry, I've namechanged!

BlueEyeshadow Thu 18-Aug-11 23:09:01

Ooh, definitely stealing the microwave pudding, WhoKnows. DH gave me "Mrs Beeton's Puddings and Desserts" for Christmas (hint?!) and it has whole sections on batter, steamed and baked puddings. How about Eve's pudding or apple Charlotte? Not that I've ever tried them myself... wink

ItsNotUnusual Thu 18-Aug-11 23:17:19

please see photographic evidence on my profile pics of how an idiot proof microwave chocolate cake can go wrong if you don't use a big enough bowl. The buggers took a spoon to it anyway though.

Of curse, the microwave sponge as described is completely devoid of fruit content, but you could substitute stewed apple or similar for the golden syrup.

I've got a recipe for date and walnut muffins somewhere, will look it out later.

Stillchuckingit Fri 19-Aug-11 11:40:21

Have change my name back again so can respond with correct green background!!

Thank you again Blue and Whoknows

Will definitely be adding apple charlotte to the list - and muffins are a good idea - and easy to make.

It'snotunusual I rather like it - it looks like a space ship!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now