Talk

Advanced search

need a easy blackberry jam recipe please...

(8 Posts)
NotInTheMood Tue 16-Aug-11 23:22:33

I have the blackberries and i've just brought some sugar for jam but im confused with all the different recipes out there. Any suggestions ?

NorksAreMessy Wed 17-Aug-11 01:40:47

There is no need for a recipe

Put blackberries in pan
Put more or less the same amount of jam sugar in the pan

Bring to the boil. When you can't stir the boiling jam down, wait exactly four minutes
Put jam in jars

Deeeeeelicious

MadamDeathstare Wed 17-Aug-11 02:55:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorksAreMessy Wed 17-Aug-11 08:41:24

Well, no disrespect to your mother, but I think the metal lids work better than jam papers. I have horrid memories of cellophane covered jam going slowly moldy in the pantry.

I wash all jars in hottest dishwasher setting, then put in oven on low
I put all lids and seals into a saucepan of water and boil for 5 minutes. When the jam is in the jars, I fish the lids out of the water as soon as they are cool enough to handle.

I have just moved house and on the third day made 'miracle jam' from the Mirabelle plums in the garden. On the tenth day I made greengage jam.
I love making jam (not so keen on eating it, but I manage)

Oh, about that, plums and greengages etc have their own pectin, so I use half jam sugar and half normal granulated, and that works fine.

Time for breakfast!

MadamDeathstare Wed 17-Aug-11 12:15:15

teacherwith2kids Wed 17-Aug-11 12:19:12

Find blackberry jam alone too seedy - so make either blackberry and apple (sometimes have to freeze blackberries while waiting for the apples to ripen a bit!) or blackberry jelly which is quite the most delicious preserve ever..

MamaChocoholic Wed 17-Aug-11 12:22:15

I am about to try this, it's sieved so pip free but still looks really simple. have used lots of other recipes from this site which have turned out great, so have high hopes for this one smile

MadamDeathstare Wed 17-Aug-11 13:57:45

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now