Talk

Advanced search

making bread in breadmakers from recipes meant to be done by hand?

(5 Posts)
louby78 Tue 16-Aug-11 21:33:14

This probably sounds like a really silly question but I keep looking at recipes in my baking books and wonder if I can try them in my breadmaker but will they still work? Or do I need a special breadmachine recipe book?
If I did them and put them on a dough setting my manual (I have a Panasonic 225) says it includes proving but do I need to let it prove again when I have reshaped it?
A bit new to this breadmaker malarky so sorry if it all seems obvious.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 17-Aug-11 11:09:23

Bread needs two provings. In otherwords, after mixing and the first kneading, you let it double in size. This is what your bread machine will do for you. Then you will take it out, knock it back and then roll it up to put into your loaf pan for its second prove, when it will double in size again before you pop it in the oven.

If you want to run the whole thing through in the machine, it shouldn't make any difference IMO, but I don't know as I have never tried it.

gorionine Wed 17-Aug-11 11:12:11

I think it depends on the yeast you buy. I buy the one in little balls tha you have to revive in water and sugar before using and it says on the packet "not for bread makers". I think most dried yeat(in little sachets) aare ok in bread makers though.

gorionine Wed 17-Aug-11 11:13:14

Sorry for typos , in a hurry!

SybilBeddows Wed 17-Aug-11 11:13:19

yes, it will work, especially if you use one of the longer settings.

the breadmaker recipe books tend to come with recipes which, if followed precisely, give you the optimum rise, but if you do your own thing it will be fine, just possibly slightly less risen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now