Talk

Advanced search

Right, I have mounds of fresh strawberries here, will someone please talk to me about jam?

(8 Posts)
cadelaide Tue 16-Aug-11 20:36:30

I know strawberry jam isn't as easy as some others. I'd really like to freeze the strawberries and make the jam at a later date. Will it be as good? Anyone done this?

I want the best strawberry jam!

Ormirian Tue 16-Aug-11 20:38:33

Hello cadelaide! Long time no see grin

Don't know about the best, but I can tell you about the easiest! Microwave it. 20 mins from start to lovely jars of jam!

Ormirian Tue 16-Aug-11 20:38:56

And yes it is vair vair nice.

sdotg Tue 16-Aug-11 20:41:31

you can freeze them if you wash and hull them before hand but they will absorb a lot of water so you will need to let them defrost properly before using them for jam. Maybe leave in a colander to let the water drip out.
Strawberry is only considered difficult because the fruit has so little pectin so you must use jam sugar with the pectin in, I always use a thermometer so I don't have to guess the temp and I always end up boiling longer that I think.
Good luck

defineme Tue 16-Aug-11 20:43:27

jam sugar (siverspoon- asda has it) never fails with mine ans I have no thermometer

Ormirian Tue 16-Aug-11 20:44:17

Like this

sdotg Tue 16-Aug-11 20:48:31

I like the simplicity of this site
www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/148/strawberry-jam-recipe/
but this guardy article is good
www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/aug/04/how-to-make-perfect-strawberry-jam

cadelaide Wed 17-Aug-11 09:16:09

Thanks all, Morning Orm!

No microwave unfortunately, but i have an unexpectedly free morning so I shall spend it listening to the radio and contendedly jam-making, therefore no need to freeze smile

(Orm, I went to Thurloxton for the first time. It was lovely)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now