Talk

Advanced search

help with my victoria sponge filling please!

(9 Posts)
coldcomfortHeart Tue 16-Aug-11 17:00:34

DH tried to make raspberry jelly with wild rasps but it didn't set and is more like syrup. I want to use it with whipped cream for the middle of a victoria sponge.

Should I mix it into the unwhipped cream and then whip it? Or might that prevent it from whipping?!

Or should I whip the cream then try to fold it in?

Or just drizzle it over the cream (might just slide off?!)

Desperate to find a use for the many jars of the stuff!

ChrissasMissis Tue 16-Aug-11 17:09:19

For filling a sponge cake, I would whip the cream first and then carefully fold in the fruit syrup, a little a time - don't want to make it too sloppy to stay inside the cake! Alternatively, you could prick the tip of the cake with a skewer and drizzle the syrup over, like a lemon drizzle cake...oh dear, I may have to go and buy a lemon drizzle cake now...

coldcomfortHeart Tue 16-Aug-11 21:17:05

Thanks- hadn't thought of doing a drizzle thing, and have done!

TeamEdward Tue 16-Aug-11 21:21:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeamEdward Tue 16-Aug-11 21:22:49

coldcomfortHeart Tue 16-Aug-11 22:04:40

Thank you TeamEdward, I will relay that to the jam maker.

My recipe for the sponge does indeed only specify jam, but cream... I can't resist- with a few little wild raspberries sprinkled in it. Yum.

TeamEdward Tue 16-Aug-11 22:11:13

Popbiscuit Tue 16-Aug-11 22:16:56

<Drools>

Sounds like it would be a lovely topping for ice cream or pancakes or French Toast?

coldcomfortHeart Wed 17-Aug-11 07:16:05

Hmm no he didn't use jam sugar. the recipe called for a cooking apple but we only had a small eating one-didn't realise the apple was for pectin, thanks! I think we'll keep what we've got and use it up on ice cream (lovely) and make more jam once we get back out to the wild raspberry patch. about to assemble the cake now, will update after it has been eaten! it's a birthday cake for a friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now