Talk

Advanced search

Owl cake

(23 Posts)
purplepidjin Mon 15-Aug-11 22:09:24

DNephew's birthday in a couple of weeks. He has just spent the week with us and hsi favourite bit seems to have been here so I'd like to make him an owl cake.

I thought I would make a cake (madeira? Vicky sponge? Light fruit cake which he loved last year?) in a big pyrex bowl. Then slice it in half, marzipan each half and pour over melted chocolate. Then reconstruct, add eyes, beak etc

Will it work? Cake making is something I do twice a year - DNephew and DNiece's birthdays, and that's because MIL can't be faffed any more and shop cakes suck

Sounds like it might work. If you want to see a simpler one, I did an owl cake for DD last year. I'll try and find a pic and put it on my profile.

fridayschild Mon 15-Aug-11 22:13:32

Flaked almonds for the chest feathers?

rushofbloodtothefeet Mon 15-Aug-11 22:14:46

This one looks easyish - becuase you can make a square one and cut a segment out of the top to make the body rounder.

Challenge you to make this one though!

purplepidjin Mon 15-Aug-11 22:17:12

Last year, DNephew had a blue VW T3 camper just like mine and DP's

DNiece had a treasure island with her own personal treasure in the middle (she has ASD, only likes the crunchy icing bits. I covered the cake board in blue for the sea, apparently her poo was that colour for a week hmm)

Will try and post pics, I'm quite proud of my amateur attempts!

Back in a mo once I've done that and checked out the links. Thank you!

purplepidjin Mon 15-Aug-11 22:22:47

The first one looks possible, although there's a lot of icing for the kids! The second one I would cry when it was cut and dumped in party bags grin

Pics now up of last years efforts... You can compare the bus cake to the reality hmm

Pic of DD's pink owl cake on profile now.

stealthsquiggle Mon 15-Aug-11 22:28:56

bird watcher cake (owl variant)

or

this is fun!

less icing laden and sounds much like what you are describing?

pointydog Mon 15-Aug-11 22:37:22

rushofblood's first one is excellent. Little bit of sponge-shaping and then it's all in the icing and clever little decorations.

I did a teddy bear cake like that once and it was so simple and effective that even a rubbish cake decorator like me did an excellent job.

purplepidjin Mon 15-Aug-11 22:43:32

I would have a tantrum if I made the first one and someone dared to cut it! I'm looking for something that will look good to lovely SIL's uber-competitive school-gate "chums", taste nice for the kids and possibly be a teenyweeny bit healthy (last year's were both light fruit cakes, chock full of dried stuff from H&B)

I'm asking too much from a humble cake, aren't I <sigh>

pointydog Mon 15-Aug-11 22:48:02

Make rush's first one with a carrot cake sponge, baked as a rectangle and cut to shape. See the little tiny carrot beak? How ideal. Use nuts and dried fruit to decorate.

Bloody ell though. An owl cake which must also be healthy. You don't ask for much.

stealthsquiggle Mon 15-Aug-11 22:49:57

which first one? mine? It was quite easy actually (it's one of mine)

how about this? - it's really cute and could be done with cream cheese icing or similar?

stealthsquiggle Mon 15-Aug-11 22:51:51

or cakepops (uber trendy to freak out the competitive mothers)?

stealthsquiggle Mon 15-Aug-11 22:55:14

sooo cute (and could be simplified by drawing the branch etc on to the board and covering it with cellophane)

purplepidjin Mon 15-Aug-11 22:58:16

Stealth, that's beautiful - but not sure it'd appeal to a 4yo boy.

Cakepops, otoh, are a genius idea, thank you! Small round cake for candles and family, cake pops for party bags grin

I'm over-estimating my own abilities, having managed it last year. Obviously not a triumph I can repeat hmm and i'm probably dousing last year in nostalgia

notlettingthefearshow Mon 15-Aug-11 23:51:01

You don't mean actually baking it in a pyrex bowl do you? That won't work as pyrex will crack in the oven. Sorry to state the obvious. You need to bake it in a cake tin/silicone one.

Icing would work better than melted choc. The choc would be thin and not spread too well, mostly roll off, whereas a choc fudge or butter icing is much thicker and would stay on. Most baking books would have basic recipes for these, or the Good Food website is usually good.

stealthsquiggle Tue 16-Aug-11 07:58:49

um - no - the point of pyrex is that it is ovenproof!! All my domed cakes (birdwatcher, pumpkin, and many more) have been baked in pyrex bowls.

stealthsquiggle Tue 16-Aug-11 08:03:11

also - OP was proposing marzipan + melted choc, which I think would not slide off to the extent of chocolate straight onto cake (although it does limit your audience to marzipan-lovers).

let me know how cake pops go, OP - I feel a need to experiment coming on...

pointydog Tue 16-Aug-11 09:43:08

I was talking about this one. It would be totally easy. Butter icing much more forgiving to work with than royal.

pointydog Tue 16-Aug-11 09:43:32

And nice for a little boy.

pointydog Tue 16-Aug-11 09:43:45

stealth, your cakes a re amazing

stealthsquiggle Tue 16-Aug-11 10:17:14

pointdog I agree that one looks easy and effective - I think one of the ones I linked to was a ripoff of that similar grin

Thanks, BTW blush - I do enjoy doing them.

purplepidjin Tue 16-Aug-11 10:39:15

Stealth's right, marzipan and only-just-melted chocolate. Last time I did it it worked although that was a very rude one involving a swiss roll and two muffins

Pointy, that one would be eaiser but I like overestimating my skills going for the dramatic and ignoring recipes and good advice and fucking it up for myself being creative wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now