Talk

Advanced search

How to make nice bread in a simple breadmaker

(12 Posts)
yellowflowers Mon 15-Aug-11 21:33:07

I've decided to start using my breadmaker again. It is quite a simple bottom of the range panasonic. I stopped using it because all the recipes in the instruction book came out really light - I don't want brick heavy bread but I want it to feel like you are eating something rather than air. Anyone got any good recipes I could try out in it please - it's the type where you have to put everything in at the beginning - you can't add ingredients half way through. Thank you.

PigeonPie Mon 15-Aug-11 21:37:08

The recipe I use (which came from my latest Panasonic instructions) is:

3/4 tsp yeast
400g wholemeal flour (although I use Wessex Mill flour: 300g Wessex Cobber and 100g of Strong)
1tsp sugar
15g butter
1tsp butter
270ml water

Put on 5 hour wholewheat bake Medium programme

Very simple and works every time for me!

Happy baking

yellowflowers Mon 15-Aug-11 21:57:20

thank you that's great - except you put butter twice - is one of those meant to be something else?

PigeonPie Mon 15-Aug-11 21:59:35

Sorry, it should be 1tsp of salt (not butter!) Bah!

zgaze Mon 15-Aug-11 22:02:06

I use a bog standard recipe which I've tweaked to make denser bread. 300ml water, splash of oil, 500g any type of flour (even the most economy level white flour although I like Allinsons seed and grain), small tsp salt, heaped tsp sugar, squirt of runny honey and small tsp yeast (half a 7g sachet). My machine you add wet ingredients first, yeast last. 3hrs basic bread cycle and the bread is always perfect! Sometimes add a few sunflower/pumpkin seeds etc or vary it by adding 2tbsp cinnamon and a cup of raisins or mixed fruit etc. Or herbs and some strong cheddar - always just that basic bread recipe though.

zgaze Mon 15-Aug-11 22:04:08

Oh and I always just chuck it all in together even though I think my machine does let you add things. Just follow basic rule of not letting the yeast touch anything wet.

yellowflowers Mon 15-Aug-11 22:29:39

oh that is brilliantly helpful thank you. My daughter is only 8 months but loves bready type things - can I make it without salt? And also I guess without honey for now too.

Bunbaker Mon 15-Aug-11 22:40:50

You might have to substitute a little sugar for the honey because it is sugar that activates the yeast.

yellowflowers Mon 15-Aug-11 23:13:36

ah thank you

PigeonPie Mon 15-Aug-11 23:28:41

When my two were small I used to make a half and half strong and wholemeal rather than the granary style with a little less salt in. Then I'd slice it and put it in the freezer.

Bread without salt does taste odd (I can vouch for it I had some the other day which my Ma had forgotten to put the salt in!) but I'm sure you could get used to it.

However I decided not to worry about the salt in the end. A teaspoon spread over all those slices is minimal and a great deal less than shop bought bread.

yellowflowers Tue 16-Aug-11 00:05:58

Yes I agree re salt. It's very little.

I am being thick perhaps but even if wet ingredients go in first and yeast last surely the yeast will get wet very quickly because the water will soak up through the water immediately?

Great idea about slicing first before freezing. Why didn't I think of that!

Bunbaker Tue 16-Aug-11 06:47:51

It does work, honestly. If the breadmaker isn't set to start working until several hours later the yeast gets mixed in straight away. But if you leave it on a timer the layer of flour does keep the yeast dry and the bread is just as nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now