Talk

Advanced search

Butter or Margerine?. :-/

(9 Posts)
OrganicFreeRangeBoys Mon 15-Aug-11 20:35:37

Possibly a bit of a strange one but have just been looking into which is healthier for us. Butter or Margerine?

There's lots of conflicting advice out there about which one is healthier for us but, with what I've read, I've come to the (maybe wrong) conclusion that (organic) butter is better than Margerine.

Is this right? What are your thoughts?

Ps: and is it me or does the word 'Margerine' look like it's spelled wrong?

OrganicFreeRangeBoys Mon 15-Aug-11 20:37:46

That's because I have spelled it wrong.

Margarine* I mean Margarine.

blush

pointydog Mon 15-Aug-11 20:40:19

I'm not sure which is healthiest. I suspect it comes down to what some people consider 'healthy' to mean.

But butter is about 100 times more delicious so I don't know why you;re even thinking about it.

OrganicFreeRangeBoys Mon 15-Aug-11 20:44:29

Ha, yes. Butter is about 100 times more delicious, that's why we use it.

I was told today that we shouldn't eat butter as it's not good for us. I wasn't sure so I googled it! Not that it helped of course, otherwise I wouldn't be asking here! grin

pointydog Mon 15-Aug-11 20:49:56

Butter is fine for you. Just don't overdo it.

pointydog Mon 15-Aug-11 20:58:30

I'd stick with the pure delicious taste of butter

jojane Tue 16-Aug-11 14:45:59

Not sure exactly but DH reckons marge has some nasty chemical in it to make it spreadable. We have butter, much tastier, plus I cook most stuff from scratch and butter is better for making sauces, pastry etcactly but DH reckons marge has some nasty chemical in it to make it spreadable. We have butter, much tastier, plus I cook most stuff from scratch and butter is better for making sauces, pastry etc

ChrissasMissis Tue 16-Aug-11 17:35:59

I would say butter. Margarine - actual margarine, not dairy spread - is in fact white and they have to put the yellow colour in to make it look palatable. The argument of butter vs. marge is based around the types of fats that each contain and which are worse for you. Margarine contains trans fats (evil!), butter contains saturated fats (bad) and some dairy spreads are made with polyunsaturated fats (better). Personally, I tend to go for organic butter, as it is a more "natural" product that spread and hasn't been faffed around with so much...however you look at it, fat is still fat.

BleughCowWonders Tue 16-Aug-11 18:07:34

definitely small amounts of butter. No comparison between milk and a bit of salt, and the huge list of ingredients on the side of a packet of margarine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now