Talk

Advanced search

How do I make vegetable soup?

(6 Posts)
b1uebells Mon 15-Aug-11 18:46:42

I have potatoes, carrots and parsnips.

Can I make a soup? If so, how? ( I have no blender but do have a potato masher and a food whisk )

Popbiscuit Mon 15-Aug-11 18:48:41

Do you have an onion? Any veg. stock or a boullion cube?

I'd cook them and then mash them all together with a little butter and salt. Yum.

Ilythia Mon 15-Aug-11 18:53:20

I would roast them all with an onion (roasting makes it taste better imo) and then put in some stock (use a cube), cook for a few mins and mash.

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Aug-11 18:53:21

fry an onion. add the rest of your veg chopped up and fry for a few minutes more.
chuck in a load of veg stock. cook until veg is soft.

eat.

you could add lentils if you want it a bit thicker, or chuck some pasta/rice in

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 15-Aug-11 20:29:34

Start with a little butter and oil in a large saucepan. Dice your prepared vegetables small and add to the oil/butter with some seasoning and a finely chopped onion if you have one. Put on the lid and allow to 'sweat' for about five mins and bring out the flavour of the vegetables. Finally add enough good flavoured stock to cover ... stock cube is fine... and, if you have it, some finely chopped green herbs for extra flavour. Simmer gently until the vegetables are tender. You don't need to puree or mash.

wicketkeeper Tue 16-Aug-11 21:47:53

oo, you can make soup with just about anything. You don't even really need a stock cube (personally I find them a bit salty, and I prefer to make my own chicken stock with a real chicken), but of course you can use one if you want. Peel the veg and boil it up until it's tender - potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and anything else you might have to hand. Add coriander to make carrot and coriander soup, add apple (yes really) to make parsnip and apple soup. The potatoes will thicken the soup without detracting from the taste. Or add leeks to the potatoes for leek and potato soup. Once the veg is soft (you're not losing any of the nutrients because you serve it with the cooking liquid), you can mash it up a bit with a potato masher or the back of a fork. It's the cheapest and simplest way of feeding a family - serve with good chunky bread and enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now