Talk

Advanced search

Cake bakers, what did I do wrong with this cake?

(3 Posts)
mummytowillow Sun 14-Aug-11 21:36:01

I'm making a princess/barbie cake for my daughters birthday next Sunday. I decided to have a trial run (good job I did)!! wink

I've bought a bell tin, I did an 8oz recipe, weighed eggs, and put 1 teaspoon of baking powder in?

The cake didn't rise that much, it cooked on the outside too quickly but was still runny in the middle? It was very dense and almost greasy (I used clover as it said it was suitable for baking)? And it wasn't big enough to fit the Barbie in the middle! confused

I did the creaming method, not all in one, and believe it or not, I am an accomplished baker and usually make really good cakes!

So any ideas what I did wrong, I clearly need to do a larger mix, the tin holds 2ltrs of liquid, so what size mix, I was thinking 12oz? How much baking powder for that mix? And this time I'm going to use stork marg! What temperature oven, and how long should I cook it?

Should I go for the all in one method, or stick with creaming? I haven't got time to keep making them or the money! She has set her heart on a 'bridal barbie' cake, I have the bridal barbie, but not the cake! hmm

Help please?

Tonksforthememories Sun 14-Aug-11 21:44:08

You may do better with a madeira cake mix as it is slightly heavier, but the best way to ensure an even bake when doing large cakes is to wrap the outside of the tin in wet newspaper.
Sounds insane but it keeps the edges cooler and lets the middle 'catch up' IYSWIM?

IF you do a madeira cake, make a well in the centre of the batter or it won't rise evenly. (as well as the newspaper thing!)

HTH! grin

tb Fri 19-Aug-11 22:12:43

If you're doing a victoria type cake and using plain flour, for 12ozs of flour, you would need 4 1/2 tsp baking powder. It's 3/4 tsp per egg. 1 tsp if you're making chocolate cake with melted chocolate in it to counteract for the extra weight. Not sure about Madeira cake - lurk in the supermarket and read the tubs - but, be warned, Tesco's doesn't give any quantities on their's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now