Talk

Advanced search

--JELLY-- Tomato FLOOD! What can I do with them all

(3 Posts)
monkeypuzzeltree Sun 14-Aug-11 20:31:52

Am over tomato salad, what can i do with a lot of cherry tomatoes, some of which are getting a bit too ripe. My plants had nothing much for ages and suddenly they have loads of ripe tomatoes. No one is allowed to leave my house without taking some with them!

Last year I made a tomato soup it was too acidic. Also not sure where I will store that much tomato soup!

So any other ideas of tasty things I can make. Thanks!

CMOTdibbler Sun 14-Aug-11 20:34:56

Throw them in the freezer (on baking trays initially if you can so they freeze separatly, then bag up) and then consider your options. I'd make tomato sauce to use in spag bog/chilli etc as you need loads of fresh toms to do that, then you can freeze that in portions. If its too acidic, add a bit of sugar

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 14-Aug-11 23:22:47

I ahve the same issue with plums - swapsies??

Can you make up a batch of tomato sauce (ie simmer for ages, with garlic, olive oil herbs etc)? Portion it up, bung it in the freezer. Then you can bring it out as and when for easy suppers as pasta sauce, pizza topiing, base for shepherds pie...

Chutney is always welcome. Apart from plum chutney, have had enough of that.

- Tomato tart? Or tart tatin?
- Make ketchup type sauce?
- Roast them - and then eat in salads, pastas etc - or fridge or freeze the roasted ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now