Talk

Advanced search

Plum out of ideas.

(18 Posts)
HazeltheMcWitch Sun 14-Aug-11 19:58:19

I have plums. SO many plums.

Plums in the freezer, I've given plums to my friends.
I've made jam, chutney, tart, cake, crumble and ice cream.

Whilst these were all delish, I have run out of ideas.

What else can I do with them, any recommendations?

VelveteenRabbit Sun 14-Aug-11 23:00:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 14-Aug-11 23:12:15

Ooh, freecycle, there's an idea! Thanks!

Snap to everything else in your post. Previous years' flies, breaking branches this year.

I honestly think I have started to get a bit too insistent with friends. "Have some more plums. No, please so. TAKE THEM"

VelveteenRabbit Sun 14-Aug-11 23:24:36

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Mon 15-Aug-11 16:41:23

I made plum clafoutis recently, which was lush. I think I used this recipe

Simon Rimmer made a plum trifle on Something for the Weekend which looked good - here

We had loads on our tree for the first time this year too, although "loads" is relative - it's a teeny tree still and we've scoffed them all now.

I'd gladly take a box off your hands if you were anywhere near grin

VelveteenRabbit Mon 15-Aug-11 16:54:47

Taffeta Mon 15-Aug-11 17:55:31

I've made 2 things with our plums in the last week:

I made these - they are To Die For

I also made a divine plum cake by Nigel Slater from Tender Vol 2, almost like a pudding sponge, with honey and cinnamon.

Doowrah Mon 15-Aug-11 18:57:01

I bought plums today, wish I had a tree providing them for free!

madmomma Fri 19-Aug-11 09:16:41

I know you've made cake already, but the nicest cake in the world in Nigella's 'winter plum cake'. It's just delicious

sieglinde Fri 19-Aug-11 14:09:57

David Lebovitz, who is like a better and braver Slater, has an imaginative plum cake with a toffee streusel topping.

Have you made granita? Basically cook with sugar, sieve out pips, puree, then freeze, and runnel up with a fork every now and then. Cheap, foolproof and yummy. Quite healthy too. If it freezes solid, just take it out for half an hour, then drag fork through as before.

Compote. Boil them with cheap red plonk, dash of stronger hooch if you like, cinnamon stick, some pieces of lemon and orange (like for mulled wine) and some sugar. Pour hot over vanilla ice cream. Can also be used to use up now-dry bits of plum cake.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Fri 19-Aug-11 15:38:02

Better than Nigel you say, sieglind?

<pops off to Google David Lebovitz>

wildstrawberryplace Fri 19-Aug-11 15:45:03

Chinese spiced plum sauce for duck/stir fries etc?

archieleach Fri 19-Aug-11 15:48:13

Clafoutis is excellent
Pickle them or make them into brandy like they do in Central Europe

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 19-Aug-11 18:09:44

In this week's plum news, I have made Clafoutis, Nigel's Plum Cake and MORE plum ice-cream. Which incidentally was a David Leibovitz recipe. He IS like Nigel a bit, isn't he? But camper. He has written the best ice-cream book ever IMHO. If you're ever looking for one, this is the one you need. Amazing.

Anyway, think I might try a clafoutis and a chinese plum sauce this weekend. And more chutney. Also might try a plum flapjacky type thing...

STILL loads of plums. The neighbours have said they don't need any more, nor do colleagues. Some friends are coming tomorrow, little do they know they will be going home with plum 'delights' from my garage larder.

thereistheball Sun 21-Aug-11 08:42:42

You can cut them in half, destone them and freeze them for later use. chucking a couple round a pork joint as it cooks is always good.

One nice thing to do with frozen plums while they are still frozen is to make a kind of sorbet by whizzing them in a food processor with a splash of fruit liqueur - sloe gin is good. I do this at Christmas but it would be nicer now with riper plums.

learningtofly Sun 21-Aug-11 10:32:34

Plum brandy. Buy a cheap bottle of brandy, chuck a pound of pierced plums in with some faster sugar and cinnamon sticks, leave for two months. Great for Christmas

clawsatELVES Sun 21-Aug-11 16:43:40

Plum brandy and plum/gin sorbet????

Genius, sheer genius. Will deffo try these, thanks!

(OP on wolef-related name change)

aStarInStrangeways Sun 21-Aug-11 16:51:35

If you're anywhere near Surrey I will gladly drive over and relieve you of your plum surplus grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now