Talk

Advanced search

Plum Jam/preserving recipes please.

(7 Posts)
Swerving Sun 14-Aug-11 18:42:40

Can anyone recommend any good sites to look for plum jam and bottling plums, etc.
Has anyone done plum jam with ginger? It sounds nice but I'm not sure how much ginger is needed.
My plums are ripening already - much earlier than last year.
Woud be grateful of any suggestions for what I could do with them.
Many thanks.

LardyMa Sun 14-Aug-11 18:46:34

Hi, I do the Waitrose plum jam recipe- have done for years. You can google it. HTH XX

purplepidjin Sun 14-Aug-11 18:46:59

I made plum jam last week, MIL was given loads so I used the bread maker she gave me (for Christmas last year) to make it into jam for her

Recipe was 4lb plums and preserving sugar to 1pt water, although I divided by 4 to get bread machine quantities. I also found that was too much water, and my "jam" is the consistency of sweet chilli sauce blush mmmmm crispy duck Tastes lovely, though, nice and sharp.

I'd think 1" ginger would be plenty, but it depends how gingery you like it...

purplepidjin Sun 14-Aug-11 18:48:05

Ooh, just seen you want other suggestions - how about plum brandy? I think that involves cheap brandy, sugar and plums... Drink the brandy and use the plums in christmas cake <drool>

LardyMa Sun 14-Aug-11 18:49:08

have done plum cake, plum crumble and plum chutney - all lovely!

Swerving Sun 14-Aug-11 19:56:38

Thank you LardyMa I'm looking at the Waitrose recipe now. I never knew jam sugar had the pectin and preserving sugar did not confused I'm going to have a go tonight. Could you let me have the recipe for the chutney please if you have it handy.
purplepidjin Thanks for the lovely ideas. Do I keep the ginger whole (for just the flavour) or chop it up fine?

purplepidjin Sun 14-Aug-11 20:33:52

I didn't know about the sugar either - explainds why I've got plum sauce!

I'd chop it as finely as you can stand so it permeates. I wouldn't fancy hoiking a lump of sticky soggy ginger out afterwards grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now