Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Noooooo! I have used the wrong SHAPE tin for b-day cake recipe. Just put in oven. How long to bake?!

(9 Posts)
DirtyMartini Sat 13-Aug-11 21:02:57

I just made this. I JUST put it in the oven - and realized literally as I was opening the oven that I had misread it, and thought it was a recipe for

ROUND TINS

instead of

8 INCH BY 3 INCH LOAF TINS

I am an ARSE.

Please, please, can anyone advise? What will happen? Is in two 8-inch cake tins, with oven at 180 degrees as per (converted to Celsius) recipe.

Will it be OK? Should it be quicker to bake, or slower? It's for DS's birthday party tomorrow. I only deviated from my planned Old Faithful chocolate sour cream cake because I realized we were low on cocoa. I thought I was so clever for finding this one sad

jenniec79 Sat 13-Aug-11 21:06:27

Probably quicker as more surface area to volume than the loaf tin.

Don't panic, just watch it like a hawk and test with a spring test/skewer after about 1/2-2/3 the time in the recipe, depending how it looks.

Sure it'll taste fine, if you're not convinced stick it in party bags for later!

DirtyMartini Sat 13-Aug-11 21:08:58

Quicker, OK. It said 45-50 minutes. I will just do LOTS of checking.

Problem is compounded by the fact I was in such a panic I raced over here to post without setting the timer. DAMMIT

DirtyMartini Sat 13-Aug-11 21:09:13

Thank you, btw smile

jenniec79 Sat 13-Aug-11 21:10:07

Well you posted at 2 minutes past 9 - assume 2 minutes of blind panic and typing, go from 9 o clock.

It'll be fine

DirtyMartini Sat 13-Aug-11 21:19:40

<nods furiously>

And M&S opens before the party starts tomorrow...

jenniec79 Sat 13-Aug-11 22:05:36

grin

How does it look?

DirtyMartini Sat 13-Aug-11 22:27:52

It's OK actually! It ended up taking about the same time as the recipe - 45 mins.

The cake rose way above the edges of my pans and over them slightly, but didn't actually spill. I think I could do it in 9 inch pans and have it work quite well. Good to know grin

Thanks for keeping me from panicking!

jenniec79 Sat 13-Aug-11 22:55:41

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now