Talk

Advanced search

DD doesn't like mince, what can I use instead?

(18 Posts)
GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 13-Aug-11 18:31:14

She never has liked it, thought she'd grow out of it but she hasn't. She says she doesn't like the feel of it. Trouble is, being the dull, uninspired cook that I am, we have a lot of chilli, spaghetti bolognese etc. Is there anything I can use instead of mince?

acsec Sat 13-Aug-11 18:32:28

Make a nice chunky veg pasta sauce instead smile

supadupapupascupa Sat 13-Aug-11 18:33:07

try slow cooking it over a few hours. personally i can't stand it done like this but it is the only way DS wll eat it. it becomes less gritty.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 13-Aug-11 18:36:23

<makes note of chunky veg> She loves her veg, luckily.

Will try the slow cooking. The downside to that is that it usually features in my quick meals! I went the whole hog once and did a bolognese in the slow cooker but it burnt sad

Yes, it's the grittiness she doesn't like, she doesn't mind the taste.

Flisspaps Sat 13-Aug-11 18:40:34

Put mushrooms in a food processor and blitz. I didn't like slow cooked bolognese, to me that seemed grittier than cooking it in a pan.

cluelessnchaos Sat 13-Aug-11 18:43:06

Ditto finely chopped mushrooms and red peppers, gives a nice texture without the chewy graininess, I use a pampered chef chopper thing to get them really small

DilysPrice Sat 13-Aug-11 18:46:02

Sausage casserole is an easy meal with a similar sort of vibe to the stuff that's off-limits. You could just follow your normal bolognese/chilli recipe but add sausages cut into thirds where you would normally put mince.

Or find a chicken casserole recipe you like.

Carrotsandcelery Sat 13-Aug-11 18:48:11

When I first became a vegetarian I substituted lentils for mince - so a bolognaise was lentils softened for 5 mins or so in boiling water then the toms, garlic, onions, basil, veg as normal.

You could also try quorn mince and see if she finds the texture any better.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 13-Aug-11 18:50:38

Lots of good ideas, thanks smile Will work my way through them. It's the same every time, eats the pasta/rice, eats the veg, leaves the sauce. Is boring for her as well as frustrating for me!

AnnoyingOrange Sat 13-Aug-11 18:51:13

try blending the sauce for her portion

or use chopped chicken

acsec Sat 13-Aug-11 18:53:32

and mixed bean chilli

AnnoyingOrange Sat 13-Aug-11 18:55:38

or use bacon or panchetta in a tomato sauce with pasta

TidyDancer Sat 13-Aug-11 18:57:40

I second the suggestion about using Quorn. Aside from the obvious reasons for using it, it tastes much nicer and has a softer texture.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Aug-11 18:58:18

I made chilli using chunks of meat rather than mince recently. Got the recipe off that Mexican cooking show that was on the tv recently.

Shoutymomma Sat 13-Aug-11 19:21:10

Neither of my girls like bog standard mince but will eat it slow cooked. Turkey mince is better and quorn best as far as they are concerned.

Pinner35 Sat 13-Aug-11 19:23:25

Also try cooking the mince in milk as this will help soften the texture without the need for slow cooking. Google for some ideas as I can't remember what the methods are.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 13-Aug-11 19:28:41

Thanks all smile Some great ideas even without the mince issue.

greyfurrybaby Sat 13-Aug-11 19:49:57

I always use a can of green lentils as a substitute for mince. I always have two pots going on the stove whenever I'm cooking mince for DH. I make shepherds pie, chilli, bolognaise all using lentils for me and Mince for DH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now