Talk

Advanced search

best of british?

(15 Posts)
lollipoppet Fri 12-Aug-11 23:30:50

I'm trying to decide on a menu for our wedding breakfast and I really like the idea of having a trio of mains (three mini dishes served on one board) so toying with the idea of a 'best of British trio' but struggling with what to choose.... I really like the idea of a little cone of fish and chips but need help with the other two, any ideas?

Oh and can't do steak sad

Thanks!

RockStockAndTwoOpenBottles Fri 12-Aug-11 23:33:22

Poached whole salmon with cucumber

prawn cocktail

Hog roast?

lilolilmanchester Sat 13-Aug-11 09:53:36

mini toad in the hole; mini cottage pies

lollipoppet Sat 13-Aug-11 10:25:47

The mini toad in hole etc was what I was thinking. Dp hates the idea and think it's not "weddingy" but I think it would go down a treat! I don't want boring chicken dinner.
Would you like this idea if served to you as a wedding guest?

EauRouge Sat 13-Aug-11 10:33:34

I would love mini toad in the holes (or is it toads in the holes?)! How about mini venison pies or mini haggis?

pointydog Sat 13-Aug-11 10:44:57

Must admit, I'd prefer one dish. I'd find something unsatisfying about three mini meals that didn't go and were possiby short on veg.

I'd like a british menu but I'd rather have british meat and veg dishes, if you see what I mean.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 13-Aug-11 10:47:16

Tbh I don't think I'd like that as a wedding guest. I'd feel that someone was trying too hard. Also, a too complex dish with too many competing flavours might mean a lot of your guests can't eat parts of it. Best to go for something beautifully cooked & presented but relatively simple. Or a help-yourself arrangement where people can choose according to their own taste

zukiecat Sun 14-Aug-11 17:17:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChrissasMissis Sun 14-Aug-11 17:34:28

I think that sounds really original and is definitely something I would be pleased to see at a wedding - I find wedding menus can blur into one another after a while...how about mini game pies? Or perhaps something really interesting and regional, like Fidget Pie? Sorry, I appear to be obsessed with pies...

This website is fantastic and might give you some good ideas:

www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipebook/

Good luck and best wishes!

lollipoppet Sun 14-Aug-11 19:56:49

Chrissas- I love pie! I'll have a look at that link, thanks.

I'm personally not a fan of roast dinners (shock horror I know!) and I don't want to choose something I don't like!

chirpchirp Sun 14-Aug-11 19:59:57

How about a mini hotpot served in a Yorkshire pud?

ComradeJing Mon 15-Aug-11 02:30:54

I love the idea of a trio of mains!

Tbh unless your guests are paying serve what YOU would like to eat.

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 15-Aug-11 12:44:13

Scrambled egg and black pudding?

storminabuttercup Mon 15-Aug-11 16:38:14

I think it's a great idea

I like the fish and chips idea, how about a mini pie with peas?

It will be fun and interesting whatever you choose!

lollipoppet Fri 19-Aug-11 09:14:56

Just seen these other replies, thanks everyone! I'm excited now!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: