Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for 15th month old meals

(14 Posts)
finleysmommy Fri 12-Aug-11 21:58:43

I am a rubbish eater, I would live off biscuits practically (I'm trying to cut down)! I really don't want my son to be a fussy eater. I just wondered what's some good cheap easy lunch and dinners you all make? Thanks smile

LittleCatZ Fri 12-Aug-11 23:03:10

At 15mo it's all about the finger food and sneaking the odd spoon of something in between! If you offer bite sized fruit and veg in sticks a couple of times a day then you both deserve a biscuit or 2 as a reward! Try to choose plain biscuits (at least for DS wink ) and you can feel virtuous!

I was going to say whatever you eat, but if it's mainly biscuits then perhaps not!

Finger food def - little sandwiches with ham/cheese/marmite etc
Pasta bolognaise
Fish cakes
Fish or chicken goujons
Cheese on toast
mini pizzas made with slices of bread
Soup - any old, just chuck some cubed up slightly stale bread to thicken it a bit for him
fish pie with mash topping
shepherds/cottage pies
exciting omelettes (rather than just plain) - mushrooms/ham/spring onions etc

I can go on if you want more!

Isla77 Sun 14-Aug-11 21:22:40

Just read this and your ideas are great RockStock. Please go on if you can.

isla77 I will do as soon as I can wrestle my laptop of DD1 who's doing important facebook crap currently!!

Got it back now so here are some more ideas that have been well and truly tried and tested n my 4DC over the past 18 years. I still have a two year old, so have been busy resurrecting it all anyway!

Spaghetti Omelette... (this is best used with day old spaghetti, and I always made sure I did extra for this after have a spag dish)

For one smallish child - toddler sized

approx 40g (cooked weight) spag
1 egg
matchboxed ish size of cheddar or parmesan, or similar, grated
splash of mil
(extras if wanted: finely chopped spring onions/ham/herbs/mushrooms etc)

Whisk the egg in a bowl, chuck in the rest of the ingredients making sure well mixed together. Melt a little butter/olive oil in a small frying pan and add egg/spag mixture. Fry on a medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, then flip over and do a couple or three minutes on the other side. Cuts nicely into pizza like wedges. V. tasty (I'll have it too with a salad and ketchup )

Cheesy chicken bites:

Per toddler: ½ chicken breast cut into bite size pieces or little finger strips.

In a blender, blend together 1 slice bread, small chunk cheddar or parmesan (or pecorino which is the yummiest with this), a sprinkling of either thyme or parsley and blend til fine crumbs.

Beat one egg then flour, egg and finely crumb the chicken and either gently fry for about 3 mins on either side or pop in the oven at about 175c for 15-20 minutes. I tend to make a massive batch of these in one go, cook them all and then freeze in portion sizes (flat freeze then on a plate and then bag). They defrost in less than half an hour and then I just warm them through at 160c ish for 10-15 minutes. Can also be jazzed up nicely for us with some paprika or cayenne in the breadcrumb mix.

Lentily stewy type thing (and turned into a soup for me and the big DC)

This should serve 1 small person and 4 bigger (teens and me) for lunch/light supper

1 medium onion, finely diced
1 fat clove garlic, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely diced
1 medium stick celery, finely diced
1 leek, finely sliced
8oz red lentils
2pints chicken stock

Soften the veg in some olive oil for a few minutes, add the lentils and stock and simmer gently for about 25 minutes. Whizz (or not, depending on age and lump stage of child). For DD3 I through in some cubes of freshish bread to thicken it, freezes brilliantly.

Simple ratatouille (great with pasta or with the cheesy chicken bites too.

Finely dice one medium onion, one fat clove garlic, 1 small aubergine and 1 medium courgette (cut these two into 1cm dice). Soften the onion and garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, throw in the aubergine and courgette, a dessertspoon of tomato purée, sprinkle of oregano and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Cook on a very gentle heat for 1/2 hour or so. Whizz or don't whizz.

Simple pasta sauce/pizza sauce:

Put 1 roughly chopped medium onion, 1 fat clove garlic, tin of tomatoes, pinch of sugar, sprinkling of oregano into a saucepan. Simmer for twenty or so minutes. Add a handful of fresh basil. Whizz. Freezes well and will keep in the fridge for a good week.

I do a lot of soups for DD3 and they are never the same - I just throw in a pan any manky past it's best veg in the fridge, add stock to just cover and simmer for half an hour or so then whizz. If it's too thick add more stock or water, if it's too thin chuck a potato in, cook it and then mash or whizz it in.

Another one DD3 loves is stuffed mushrooms (i know I know). Remove the stalks, finely chop them, frying in a little butter with some chopped spring onion and garlic, stir into some philli, stuff the mushrooms, sprinkle a little parmesan over and pop under the grill for 10 minutes.

Mushroom risotto

Paella of any description

I am very lucky and live in Southern Spain, so DD3 eats a lot of shell fish and seafood. But if you're a lover of clams, I have found that almost every child I have given them too has loved them. I normally just cook them in a pan with a splash of stock, some garlic and parsley - she'll happily eat them like that and soak up the juices with bread, but also with spaghetti. She loves prawns too and I think they're a great thing to start with. The tiny ones you can get in the supermarkets over there (UK) are also good stirred through pasta with some philli.

I am a huge foodie and love cooking for the children, but they also enjoy it. The three older ones are al excellent cooks and DD3 spends most of the time with me in the kitchen when I'm cooking sitting on the side mixing and stirring - just being involved really. I think that really helps them develop a healthy interest in food and I've certainly found that all 4 of my children have been more enthusiastic to try things when they have 'helped' to plan, prep and cook it with me IYSWIM.

Sorry this is so long! Just got carried away with ideas as I typed.

Full of bloody typos! Spash of MILK in the first one obviously, not your Mother-in-Law grin

seeksnewnamewithgsoh Sun 14-Aug-11 22:46:24

Rockstock, I might love you a little bit. Thanks for the inspiration.

Good thread OP.

I'm a very reluctant cook, so the simpler the better for me. DD tends to have a smaller portion of what we have. So tonight, a bit of my pork chop, some sweetcorn and roast potatoes.

She loves fruit & veg though, and pasta/spaghetti. I stir philly through on days she hasn't had any other dairy, with a couple of cherry tomatoes chopped in half and some cucumber to get her gums into.

Seeksnewname, thank you! Everything I've written down is stuff that we (my teens and I) happily eat along with DD3, I just jazz it up a bit for us at times, although now the small annoying urchin is pretty much eating anything and everything we eat anyway.

Cook with her:

a. it wastes time on crap days with nothing to do
b. she'll try a lot more flavours and textures
c. you never know, you may just start to enjoy it!!

seeksnewnamewithgsoh Mon 15-Aug-11 19:43:01

I can't wait until she's big enough to cook with me. She's really good at eating already - we did BLW from the start, so she's totally fearless now (nearly 15mo). She likes curry flavours, and anything tangy. Madness.

I do like cooking, I just don't have time to do it properly so I can really get into it. I've discovered cooking From Ingredients since DD has been eating, and I must admit it's good fun seeing a pile of stuff turn into an edible meal. We're about to move so I'm closer to work, then I'll have a bit more time in the evenings. I just have to get organised and have a plan. smile

Still chuckling at the thought of my mother in law in the dinner grin

sprinkles77 Mon 15-Aug-11 20:16:08

i make stuff in batches and freeze. I also gave a lot of purees still at 15 months, cos DS loved them.
I regularly freeze spag bol and fish pie and "green pasta"

Recipe for green pasta: steam and then puree a mixture of green veg (spinach, peas, whatever) + a sweet potato. Mix with cooked pasta. Easy peasy.

For spag bol I puree the bolognese once it is cooked as it can be a bit chewy otherwise, then mix with cooked pasta. I also hide pureed veg in there.
Batch cooking takes a bit of time, but then you have weeks of meals that you can heat in 2 mins in the microwave. Can do a similar thing with a mild curry or chilli con carne with rice. You'd be surprised that even toddlers like spicey food.

Fish pie: poach some fish (DS likes salmon and undyed smoked haddock) in some milk with a bay leaf.
Saute some finely chopped leeks and mushrooms.
Microwave some frozen mixed veg.
Mash some spuds.
Make a white sauce (melt butter, add flour to make a paste, cook a bit, then add the milk you poached the fish in, whisk manically till all lumps gone and sauce thickens)
Flake fish, add to veg and sauce. top with mash. I freeze it in old plastic containers that Organix of Plum baby foods came in.

Fish pate: mix in a food processor cream cheese + any cooked fish: smoked mackerel is lovely, as is smoked salmon (if you want to treat the baby), canned tuna, lemon juice and some horseradish sauce. I use sainsbury's basics cheese and mackerel. DS loves this on toast. keeps in fridge for ages (a week at least unless I eat it all) and is full of oily fish.

Omlette with cheese, cook well and allow to cook and cut into fingers.

My favourite standby: random pick and mix from the fridge and cupboards: olives, bits of cheese, tomatoes, crackers, grapes, plain yoghurt and a bit of eccles cake (that was lunch today).

seeksnewname she's the perfect age to start cooking with... I've plonked all mine on the side from about 12m and they've just started off with stirring and moved on to pouring and weighing etc as they grew. Having been a WOHM with 3 small children (and single) I know how time is so precious, but a bit of prep the night before makes all the difference. Tupperware and takeaway pots are your friend! I do hope that you really get into it - it sounds like your DD has a good palate already. Onwards and upwards I say - it makes life so easy when they'll eat anything. I have one fussy DD who I could gladly throttle at times, but as she nears 18 she's seeing the light!!

InmaculadaConcepcion Wed 17-Aug-11 14:57:35

Some fab ideas here, excellent thread!

This is a very helpful website with masses of ideas to try - I subscribe to their (free) newsletter and it's excellent when I need some inspiration!

For vegetarian babies/toddlers, quinoa is a great soup-thickener - use it instead of potato and add extra liquid (the quinoa absorbs a fair bit) - you get a nice creamy texture and a protein boost in one. (Omnivorous children can obviously have this too, but probably protein isn't as much of an issue here).

A lot of babies/toddlers like hummus and it's very easy to make - whizz up some chick peas with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and either smooth tahini or Greek yoghurt, depending on taste.

If you have a reluctant veg-eater (as I have) then yay to soup and you can always groove up the bread "croutons" they soak it up with by spreading with nut butter, marmite, cream cheese or melted cheese, depending on preference. (which can also provide another protein source).

I've found stuffed pancakes to be quite popular - mash or puree some steamed broccoli or some such and add to the pancake mix before you fry. Make the stuffing with finely chopped or pureed veg in a bechamel sauce or mixed with cream cheese, then roll up - or top mini pancakes for toddler-sized morsels.

seeksnewnamewithgsoh Wed 17-Aug-11 21:50:35

Right, stirring it is! She won't know what's hit her, but actually I think she'll love it!

She's a bit reluctant about meat actually, so I'll see if I can get my hands on some quinoa. She sucks sauces off meat, then gives it me back hmm Everything else goes straight down.

These tips are fab for a first timer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now