Talk

Advanced search

Desperation made me buy it now how to cook it?

(13 Posts)
Doowrah Fri 12-Aug-11 15:25:37

Struggling for ideas in the food aisles found myself buying gammon steaks and a tin of pineapple, retro-cooking for those looking for comfort in their childhoods possibly! Only problem is my Dad cooked it back then and I never have...what is the best way?

NatashaBee Fri 12-Aug-11 15:34:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Fri 12-Aug-11 15:50:22

You can just put gammon steaks under your grill for about 20 minutes. I've never done pineapple with them, but Natasha's suggestion sounds straightforward.

Anifrangapani Fri 12-Aug-11 15:53:12

Pineapple is lush fried in the pan that you fry the gammon steaks in.....

HappyAsASandboy Fri 12-Aug-11 15:53:38

I would either grill it (medium heat for a fairly long time, maybe 25 mins?) or put it on a baking tray in the oven (at about 180/200 C for about 25/ mins. I would drain the pineapple, then put it on the meat for the last 10 mins or so of cooking. Turn the meat over about half way through time.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 12-Aug-11 18:24:28

If you want the full 1970's experience, grill the steak on one side gently for the time indicated on the packet. Then flip and cook gently on the other side until nearly cooked. Right at the end place the pineapple on top and cover with a big thin slice of cheddar cheese (or a Kraft cheese single). Return everything to the grill and turn up the heat. Cook until the cheese is bubbling, the pineapple is a little brown at the edges and the gammon is toasted.

Then serve with Smash and have Angel Delight for dessert. You'll know the e-numbers have entered your bloodstream when you're checking E-Bay for a nice pair of flairs.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 12-Aug-11 18:24:48

flares... blush

Doowrah Fri 12-Aug-11 19:06:28

Mners you have not let me down I like the sound of warming the pineapple and cooking in its own juices, Cogito...smash and angel delight I can see the look of genuine happiness on my brother's face when presented with such a feast back in the 70's, as for cheese I quite like the idea but my DS9 is baulking at the thought....hmmmmm ebay..hmmm flares...

Shoutymomma Fri 12-Aug-11 19:09:42

JC... 25 mins?? It will be like leather. I'd give it 5 mins a side under a high grill or on a griddle. Use the pineapple for an upside down cake and slap a decent fried egg on your gammon instead.

thefoodschool Fri 12-Aug-11 19:15:59

agree with Shoutymomma it needs cooking like a steak ie fairly quickly

Doowrah Sat 13-Aug-11 16:04:12

Shoutymama and the foodschool you may have rescued Sunday lunch...thankyou! I hear what your saying about the pineapple but no-one in my family does fried-eggs ...

zukiecat Sun 14-Aug-11 17:14:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doowrah Tue 16-Aug-11 16:36:31

I cooked it a la steak and slightly warmed the pineapple it was very tasty; The pineapple off-set the salty gammon very well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now