Talk

Advanced search

18month old stopped eating

(3 Posts)
Timepasses Thu 11-Aug-11 18:07:14

I am at my wits end, DS was great at trying new things and was really enjoying his food. Now he wont eat anything except toast, fish fingers or yoghurt.

He has been like this for about two months now and i dont know what to do next.

I give him what food he wants but also add something new but he wont even touch it.

A few months ago he was eating bits of fruit and veg but wont entertain now.

I dont get stressed in front of him or try and force him to eat but its becoming more difficult by the day.

I had to leave the table tonight as i was in tears.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

TheFrozenMBJ Thu 11-Aug-11 18:14:18

Are you eating with him? Have you tried involving him in the making of his lunch and dinner?

If you are offering things that he definitely will eat at every meal, he will fill up on those and not try new things. Perhaps set one meal a day aside that you are willing to experiment with and offer him different things then, and none of the trusted favourites. Like lunch time, and eat the same things with him. Let him try off of you plate etc.

The other 2 meals you could then just stick with firm favourites so that you do not feel too stressed about it. As he starts to expend his repertoire, you can then include those onto the favourites list and try yet more new things at lunch.

Timepasses Thu 11-Aug-11 19:11:11

ThefrozenMBJ. I work full time but we do sit down and eat together in the evening. My mum looks after him during the day and she is trying to introduce new things each lunchtime. She has been FAB.

Whenever I make somethings to eat for myself he does come to investigate but wont eat.

I know (hope) its just a phase but I am finding it all very stressful

Thanks for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now