Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy green tomatoes?

(11 Posts)
Chestnutx3 Thu 11-Aug-11 14:12:02

I want to make the river cottage chutney but it says 1kg of green tomatoes, I don't think I will have 1kg of red tomatoes from my tomato plants this year let alone being to pick that much green. Any ideas what I can do?

anonymousbird Thu 11-Aug-11 17:59:39

I have absolutely millions of green tomatoes. No sign whatsoever of them turning!! Normally they are well under way by now, so I suspect in a few weeks I will still have several kilos. If you live in North West Essex, come and fill your boots in early September!

Chestnutx3 Thu 11-Aug-11 20:08:16

I wish I lived closer. Mine didn't look like turning but they did 10 days ago and I am further south so don't give up hope.

GeorgeEliot Thu 11-Aug-11 20:35:53

I've made that recipe before - it will be fine if you use ordinary red tomatoes. I think the reason it says green is because some people have a lot of green tomatoes left at the end of the season.

littleomar Thu 11-Aug-11 20:38:29

try freecycle/freegle - i had loads of green toms last year and offloaded several kilos onto a happy chutney maker that way.

they all got blight this year so i have none green or red sad

BikeRunSki Thu 11-Aug-11 20:42:27

At the Whistlestop Cafe?

Chestnutx3 Thu 11-Aug-11 21:03:47

Thanks signed up to my new local freecycle - end of September a good time to ask about green tomatoes? I will use red if need be but my courgettes are already getting big overnight so I feel like its chutney making time.

grunwaldoue Thu 07-Mar-13 21:37:20

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

birdofthenorth Thu 07-Mar-13 21:38:40

At the Whistlestop Cafe?! <unhelpful film reference, sorry!>

birdofthenorth Thu 07-Mar-13 21:39:21

Ooh see I was beaten to that comment, sorry!

karimichele Sat 08-Aug-15 20:36:50

I would love to have green tomatoes where can I find some

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now