Talk

Advanced search

A bit unusual - safflower oil? Help! ('Food' might be the wrong place)..

(13 Posts)
FastasleepInAManger Sat 03-Dec-05 21:08:12

If a recipe called for Safflower oil, and I had no way of getting my hands on any do any of you guys know what I could use as a substitute?

(It's not a food recipe, it's a soap recipe but the safflower oil is a cooking oil so thought I should ask here!)

I did find it online for not very much money but the shipping costs even from the UK were enormous and I can't find it in any health food shops around here...

HRHQueenOfQuelNoel Sat 03-Dec-05 21:15:17

is this any good?

HRHQueenOfQuelNoel Sat 03-Dec-05 21:16:31

or here ??

HRHQueenOfQuelNoel Sat 03-Dec-05 21:18:32

actually if you look here there's a whole list of places (in the UK) that sell them.

ooo - just had a though - where are you??

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Dec-05 21:19:42

I think safflower oil is just a normal not-very-smelly sort of oil. I'd use sunflower as a substitute.

That being said, I think safflower has an interesting chemical makeup, in terms of saturated fats or something.

HRHQueenOfQuelNoel Sat 03-Dec-05 21:20:44

just found this

"safflower oil Substitutes: canola oil OR corn oil OR soybean oil OR peanut oil (not as good as safflower oil for deep frying--has a lower smoke point) OR cooking spray (for greasing pans) "

too - but not really much good as you're not greasing pans or deep frying LOL.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Dec-05 21:22:36

"canola oil" is rapeseed.

Because Canadians decided that rape was a bad word, so we should name it after Canada.

Freaks.

HRHQueenOfQuelNoel Sat 03-Dec-05 21:23:32

lol NCQ - talk about political correctness gone mad

NotQuiteCockney Sat 03-Dec-05 21:24:57

Oh no, it was renamed a long time ago. More like Victorian-style prudishness gone mad.

FastasleepInAManger Sun 04-Dec-05 19:12:05

Thanks! Only just got chance to come back on here!

That list of substitute oils is great... thanks to that tomorrow evening I may be stood in the kitchen stiring scary looking pots of breastmilk soap!

(Yes I know surplus milk should go to a milkbank and it does, they don't accept it when I have a cold, thankyou )

Thanks again NQC and HRH!

Nightynight Sun 04-Dec-05 20:04:19

breastmilk soap?? careful fastasleep, you will go down in MN legend...Im sure it will be lovely soap though

FastasleepInAManger Mon 05-Dec-05 22:32:46

Still haven't had chance to make it due to a lazy husband not buying me the ingredients (I can't go into to town with the babies and my breastpump, not practical!)

As soon as I've made it I'll offer some to anyone who fancies it...possibly for a small fee lol depending on how good it is 6 cups makes 32 bars and I have 7 litres... lol

FoodieLove Fri 26-Jun-09 10:40:51

Queen of Q rapeseed oil is really really good for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now