Talk

Advanced search

Can you 'boil' gammon in a slow cooker?

(10 Posts)
NLurkerispackingforholiday Mon 08-Aug-11 20:13:09

I usually boil my gammon joints till cooked and then just glaze and roast for the last 1/2 hour. I am off on holiday self catering shortly and am thinking of taking my slow cooker. Can you do gammon in the slow cooker? How much water is needed if so?

JetLi Mon 08-Aug-11 20:21:18

the last 2 i did in the sc i used no liquid. they came out wonderfully and could be carved with a spoon. forgive shit typing - pinned under sleeping baby. i would recommend using the sc

NLurkerispackingforholiday Mon 08-Aug-11 20:23:22

Sounds good. High or low and how long for? THanks for replying when pinned under a baby!

notapizzaeater Mon 08-Aug-11 20:26:10

I use a slow cooker - I stick it in all day on auto. I sometimes do it dry and also sometimes do it in cherry coke.

DoFliesHaveKnees Mon 08-Aug-11 20:26:56

I cook mine in cola, normal or cherry flavour. It is ace!

Chestnutx3 Tue 09-Aug-11 11:25:53

I've done it but never again but I don't like my meat that can be carved with a spoon! I found it very stringy and did fall apart. Forget boiling just bung in the oven and cook - I've given up boiling mine unless I need to save time the next day it makes little difference. Cook on low in the slow cooker but I did warn you. I am about to consign my slow cooker to the appliances in the back of the cupboard I find everything much better cooked in the oven. Its way to greasy - MIL says she cooks stuff the night before and then leaves it to cool and takes the fat off, I think that defeats the object.

valiumredhead Wed 10-Aug-11 17:24:14

I por boiling water over the gAMMON TO REMOVE EXCESS( oops caps lock!) saltiness then cook in the SC with about 3 or 4 TBS water for about 5 hours.

Chestnut do you add oil /butter? There's no need in SC's.

Chestnutx3 Wed 10-Aug-11 18:22:51

no i don't add butter or oil but find stews etc.. v greasy unless prime cuts of meat and that defeats the object.

Most supermarket hams aren't that salty compared to the butchers, since discovering that shoving the gammon in the oven gives just as good if not better results its been on the menu much more often

GertieGuineaPig Thu 11-Aug-11 08:58:30

I always cook mine in water and then use some of the water as a base for soup- usually leek and potato or ham and pea. Never too salty as I always soak gammon for a couple of hours in cold water (if I can I'll change it a couple of times) to remove any saltyness (is that a word!!)

moragbellingham Fri 12-Aug-11 21:37:23

I soak mine first and then cook in a pale dry cider - about 250ml and some water,carrots,celery and a bayleaf.
Then remove and reduce some of the cooking liquid and add butter and flour to thicken it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now