Talk

Advanced search

Holiday cooking ideas please

(6 Posts)
HollyDee Mon 08-Aug-11 19:07:11

Hi. We're off to Spain self-catering next week. Can anyone give me ideas for quick and easy tasty holiday meals that can be prepared without an oven? Don't want to be eating and cooking the same old things we have all year round! TIA

countydurhamlass Mon 08-Aug-11 19:22:47

i tend to buy things like all the unique breads, meats and cheeses (in small amounts of each to try), salad vegs and fruits for lunches. make up some dips for the breads and have buffet style lunches,

pasta or rice with whatever i can get for evening meals,
the best thing is to wander around the local markets and the trial and error for us

desserts tend to be from the local deli

thefoodschool Mon 08-Aug-11 19:47:11

find a good shop / market and do what the Spaniards do - buy good ham, olives, bread, cheese, chorizo and tomatoes and make simple snacks such as toasted bread rubbed with garlic and oil and served with chorizo (the cooking variety and lightly fry it) and tomato salad. its a cliche to do it but make tortilla's and have a stab at a paella.last night i a made a tapas dish of chorizo, prawns and green beans and served it with bread.with all those things pasta can be added to make a substanial meal. the quality of their ingredients should be better than what we get in the UK so keep it simple

HollyDee Mon 08-Aug-11 22:19:40

Definitely a case of "When in Rome...". Some good ideas thank you smile

anonymousbird Thu 11-Aug-11 10:10:24

When we are away, we simply stuff a load of prawns which we barbie (oh so cheap in portugal and we never have them the other 51 weeks of the year so happy to eat every day nearly) together with chicken/hams/breads/cheese/tomatoes etc. Along similar lines to the other two posters above. keep it very simple, save yourself lots of work and slaving over a stove and just eat the food as nature intended!!!

HollyDee Thu 11-Aug-11 22:34:01

Thanks Anonymous. Prawns, definitely - healthy, yummy and easy - all boxes ticked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now