Talk

Advanced search

Over-ripe bananas - any ideas? Don't want to throw away!

(6 Posts)
gerbo Sun 07-Aug-11 20:49:33

Any ideas?

My toddler has decided he doesn't like banana any more, and I have a full packet of lovely Sainsbury's children's bananas going black in my kitchen!

I don't like waste. None of my family (bar me) like banana cake, so any clues as to what I could do?

Thanks.

pointydog Sun 07-Aug-11 20:53:05

Muffins or a banana loaf. That's what I do.

GloriaSmud Mon 08-Aug-11 08:48:23

I usually put bananas that are just beginning to go over in the freezer. They go really black and when defrosted look a bit grim but it gets all the banana flavour out. I then make this cake (I use 'proper' chopped up chocolate rather than choc chips and don't make the crumble topping) along with some icing (8tbs icing sugar, 2-3oz butter, 3-4oz milk chocolate) in the middle and on top.
Delicious and never lasts long in this house!

Goldensnitchberry Mon 08-Aug-11 08:56:46

Chop each banana into 4, wrap in clingfilm and freeze. Then use as the basis for a smoothie, adding other fruit, yoghurt etc. The frozen banana gives the smoothie a lovely ice-creamy texture (it's very noisy in the blender though!) I sometimes make a yummy breakfast one with the banana, some milk, a spoonful of drinking chocolate and a spoonful of peanut butter. Not for those on a diet though!

Shazzystar Mon 08-Aug-11 11:58:41

I recommend these 2 recipes. I have a 17 month old toddler and she's been enjoying both these recipes for the past few months:

Banana bread: cookmarkit.com/urls/banana-bread-recipe-food-network
Banana muffins (I usually add a couple handfuls of raisins to this just for fun) - cookmarkit.com/urls/banana-oat-muffins-recipe-allrecipes-com

GloriaSmud Mon 08-Aug-11 16:58:23

Just spotted that it's only you that likes banana cake <slaps self for not reading OP properly!>

More banana recipe ideas here and lots here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now