Talk

Advanced search

I have a new cookbook: Prepped! by Vanessa Kimbell

(1 Post)
HopeForTheBest Sun 07-Aug-11 13:36:13

Does anyone else know it?

I came across her blog a while ago, liked the idea and then bought the book.

The idea is that by prepping well and being super-organised, you can cook rather fancy stuff much more easily, plus you make more of certain things so that you can make other recipes in the book (she calls this "linking").

So, the book arrives and my first impression is that it's beautiful, lovely photographs and well written but I cannot really see how making a batch of Elderflower and Rose Syrup is really going to help me cook more easily hmm. Yes, it crops up as an ingredient in various recipes throughout the book, but really, I could just have a bottle of elderflower cordial that I've bought and use that instead. Or leave out the elderflower altogether, I mean, it's hardly a vital ingredient, is it? It's more of an optional flavouring.

There's a lot of flavoured syrups and sugars used as the main, linking ingredients. And I was about to give up and just write the whole thing off as a poncy waste of time when the recipes suddenly got a lot more interesting, and the flavour combinations sound really rather intriguing.

The chapters are: Elderflower, Rhubarb, Lavender, Lemon, Vanilla, Tomato, Plum, Caraway, Chocolate, Cardamom and Orange & Clove.

At first there seems to be rather a lot of baking, but it evens out in the later chapters with more savoury mains and accompaniments (there are some lovely bread/savoury muffin recipes), plus there are some jam/chutney/sauce recipes too, and ideas for presents.

There are also lots of variations listed for each recipe, and also links to what to do with eg leftover meat.

I have just (this morning) tried the chocolate cookies recipe, which is not revolutionary in any way but really, really good nonetheless. DS helped make them and has already polished off 4 of them grin
Next up to try are the Lemon Polenta Savoury Muffins which I will be serving with soup.
The Spiced Lamb and Rhubarb Tagine also sounds intriguing (though I'll be doing it with beef as DH doesn't eat lamb).

Does anyone else have the book? What do you think of it? Any particular recipes to try out (or avoid!)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now