Talk

Advanced search

My banana loaf went wrong :(

(11 Posts)
ellesabe Sat 06-Aug-11 18:19:59

It had over an hour in the oven so presumably cooked through but didn't rise at all! It tastes okay and my 8 month old gobbled a whole piece but I'm not sure if I can still freeze and defrost it for her another day...what do we think? Also, why didn't it rise? Maybe I used too much banana...

UselessForeskinHiddenSurgeon Sun 07-Aug-11 05:42:29

One of two issues. #1 not enough baking soda. or more likely... #2 mixture not beaten enough. hope this helps.

UselessForeskinHiddenSurgeon Sun 07-Aug-11 05:44:17

how many fruit did you use? where they ripe? a little over-ripe tends to work better but unripe fruit can be used by adding a little more sugar. sorry about the user name. just been posting about circumcision related issues. to cut or not to cut, tee hee.

PrettyCandles Sun 07-Aug-11 06:15:39

If it's fine to eat then I'm sure it would be fine to slice up and freeze.

I have no luck with banana cakes/bread. Either they don't rise, or they have an awful, dense, rubbery texture, or both!

KellyKettle Sun 07-Aug-11 10:49:49

Oh I was just about to make a banana loaf but I have no bicarb - is it a bad idea to attempt it without?

KellyKettle Sun 07-Aug-11 15:35:31

Used self raising flour and chocolate chips. All round success!

Shazzystar Mon 08-Aug-11 11:55:50

I would highly recommend this recipe:
cookmarkit.com/urls/banana-bread-recipe-food-network

We've made it several times and it always turns out fantastic!

Evlury Sat 13-Aug-11 17:39:24

Google Avoca banana bread for a scrummy recipe; so moist and sweet. Pecans are specified but I leave these out and it's still delish!

Wallace Sat 13-Aug-11 17:42:14

I use the recipe on here. No bicarb.

hermioneweasley Sat 13-Aug-11 17:44:54

It's not supposed to rise unless you use self raising flour and other raising agents. Classic receipes are dense, so it sounds like it you got it right

Wallace Sat 13-Aug-11 17:45:10

This one.

Perfect every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now