Talk

Advanced search

Curry recipe please - what spices?

(4 Posts)
TracyK Sat 06-Aug-11 12:01:18

I have chick, mushrooms, spinach, sweet potato, various jarred spices, tinned toms.

What spices, chillis do you use in your curry recipes please - so I can check which ones I have to use (I think I have them all - gathered over the years!).

thefoodschool Sat 06-Aug-11 12:08:49

i know its a cop out but good brands of curry powder work well as do pataks curry paste and you can spice up a curry by using fresh ginger, chilli and garlic.

AmberLeaf Sat 06-Aug-11 12:11:38

A basic one an indian friend showed me years ago was just Cumin[Jeera], Coriander [powder][Dhaniya] and black pepper for the dry spice mix and crushed garlic, chopped tomatos and a pinch of salt.

That was simple, very nice and worked with both meat and veg curries.

Turmeric can be added too which gives it the yellow colour and a bit of flavour.

I tend to have a variety of pre blended curry powders that I get from ethnic grocers [am in London] ranging between both mild and hot indian and caribbean ones.

Spuddybean Sun 07-Aug-11 13:55:47

for a basic curry i tend to use a tsp each of, cumin, coriander, garam masala, chilli flakes, turmeric and lots of grated fresh ginger and garlic, fried in oil for a couple of mins then add onions, meat/veg. then add passata and bubble away. stir in coconut milk and maybe some tinned chickpeas (depending on other ingredients).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now