Talk

Advanced search

Hit me with your runner beans please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(14 Posts)
anonymousbird Fri 05-Aug-11 17:26:40

Well, ideas for 101 ways with runner beans anyway. Got the usual glut, and we do love them, but we tend to do the same old things with them.

I fancy trying something a bit different with them this year - can they go in/with pasta? Can I make them into a salad of some sorts?????

Ideally would like to do a dish that goes with BBQ - kebabs, pork steaks and the like....

TIA smile

Katisha Fri 05-Aug-11 17:32:30

Oh lord I have just been and picked another shedload.
I never find it quite works freezing them, even what with blanching etc. They always come out a bit soggy.

Katisha Fri 05-Aug-11 17:32:49

Might try the following recipe : donate to neighbours.

anonymousbird Fri 05-Aug-11 17:39:51

Yes, katisha, have threatened friends and neighbours with drop offs - even those who I know are growing runners!!!! wink

Have never tried to freeze... may google that and do a test run on a few...

Katisha Fri 05-Aug-11 17:41:20

Freezing is OK but you hardly have to cook them when you thaw them. I have done the blanch for a minute in boiling water thing, before freezing, but somehow they end up soggy in the end.

Snackalot Fri 05-Aug-11 18:18:38

I have chopped them into small pieces and stir-fried them... seemed to be ok. Slightly al dente but DH likes them like that!

Katisha Fri 05-Aug-11 18:19:56

My brother once made some sort of runner bean chutney.

I advise against...

BBwannaB Fri 12-Aug-11 21:20:06

Gujerati beans: blanch the beans, heat a little oil in a frying pan add some chopped chilli or half a teaspoon of the ready prepared chillis-in-a-jar-stuff, plus a dessert spoon of black mustard seeds, when they start to 'pop' chuck in the beans and stir fry until tender. You can do the same with shredded cabbage (don't blanch first though).

LoveBeingAtHomeOnMyOwn Fri 12-Aug-11 21:25:09

I normally have the same problem. Tried this Jamie Oliver one a few weeks ago and was very nice.

Boil your sliced beans. Fry some garlic in olive oil and add a Ron of toms bubble away till nice and thick add in the beans.

stressedHEmum Sat 13-Aug-11 09:12:19

Lots of runner bean recipes. I love runner bean chutney and make it every year. You have to make it now and let it mature until Christmas before it's delicious and mellow.

anonymousbird Sat 13-Aug-11 17:22:11

BBwabbaB - how bizzare. I made that exact recipe last night to go with our Friday night curry dish!!!!!!!! Absolutely delicious. Great accompaniment.

Tonight I am going to combine some runners with courgettes and a red pepper to come up with some concoction or other.....

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 15-Aug-11 12:48:53

My parents had a glut of Runner Beans several years ago, and the freezer was already full. My father had this bright idea of preserving them the way they had in the war, when they had no freezer. He salted them in kilner jars.

They were fantastic. They kept really well and retained a very vibrant green colour. You rinse them off when cooking and they were sooooo tasty! Best runner beans I have ever had.

Marrow Mon 15-Aug-11 13:16:16

My Nan used to pickle runner beans - they were lovely. Don't have the recipe I'm afraid as Nan is long gone but have just googled and there seem to be quite a few recipes online.

archieleach Fri 19-Aug-11 15:45:09

Pick em small. Do a Roux with cheese and 30% pasta 70% beans (boiled first)
Good with runners, best with white/yellow beans, add a bit of ham if you like.
Excellent on own or as an accompaniment. Also works with broccoli. Picante it up a bit with blue cheese or a dash of chilli.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now