Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for chunky soups please:)

(17 Posts)
muslimah28 Fri 05-Aug-11 13:50:35

I would like to make some chunky soups, ie ones that don't get blitzed in a blender and made thick but instead you just eat the chunks of ingredients as is. What would go nicely? Other than a simple minestrone of course (though I wouldn't mind your recipe for that if it's good!). Needs to be veg or fish please.

Many thanks!

mommmmyof2 Fri 05-Aug-11 16:20:30

Anything veg wise would go I should imagine, I normally make butternut squash soup and I have mad carrot and potatoe, but I love mine smooth so I blitz, but I think as long as the veg is cooked and not too hard anything would go nice.

Just experiment, stick some veg you like in (I would chop them into small cubes if you want it chunky) then add your veg stock and there you go.

I should imagine that would work hmm but then I just experiment alot and see how things turn out, never fancied it chunky myslef though grin

lostlady Fri 05-Aug-11 16:31:33

Leek & potato is my favourite: leeks,potatoes, onion, wee bit carrot: sweat the veg then add stock and bubble. O, and white pepper, not black smile.

Columbia999 Fri 05-Aug-11 16:32:46

Butternut squash, sweet potato and red onion makes a very nice soup, but I always blitz mine. I'm sure it would be just as nice unblitzed though!

muslimah28 Fri 05-Aug-11 18:03:38

thank you, i will definitely try the leek and potato idea and squash soup sounds nice too.

i do normally like soups blitzed but we're fasting for ramadan at the moment and so far a stockysoup with chunky bits in has gone down better than the pureed ones, it feels more refreshing on an empty tummy iyswim. also its less effort grin

BlingLoving Fri 05-Aug-11 20:20:16

Any interest in a butternut, bean soup with a Thai influence and served with rice? You blitz a little but keep beans whole and chinks of butternut etc?

InvaderZim Fri 05-Aug-11 23:16:50

Sweet potato and red lentil, spice with cumin, coriander, and chili. Yum!

InvaderZim Fri 05-Aug-11 23:19:11

Also I like to make dumplings for my soup, semolina or matzo balls. They have egg though, dunno how veggie you're going. smile

NormanTebbit Fri 05-Aug-11 23:21:41

Bling - that sounds gorgeous can you link?

Mumelie Sat 06-Aug-11 09:12:14

Minestrone
Chicken veg noodle
Lentil (puy) and bacon
Spicy red lentil and tomato
French onion

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 06-Aug-11 09:19:46

this is lovely and really quick.

Get a couple of handfuls of barley, cover in boiling water and microwave for about 10 mins.

Meanwhile, fry chopped onion, carrot, potato, celery, swede, garlic etc.

Add a bit of chopped rosemary and thyme.

Chuck in the barley and its cooking water plus some stock.

Cook until nearly done.

Chuck in frozen peas, sweetcorn and broad beans and cook until done.

Add lots and lots of black pepper and maybe some chilli flakes.

Eat with lovely fresh bread or garlic pittas. Yum.

muslimah28 Sat 06-Aug-11 22:26:25

Bling id love your recipe it sounds yummy! although i'm avoiding blitzng for ease as well as taste, i think i'd like to try that at some point.

lostlady i made leek and potato today following nearly your method (didn't have any carrot or white pepper) and it went down a treat smile i made a big batch so there's some for tomorrow and 3 portions for the freezer grin

charlotte and remus i think those both sound delicious, i will be adding ingredients to my weekly internet shop for this week and then trying them out. thanks.

thanks everyone for all the other ideas too. smile

BlingLoving Wed 10-Aug-11 21:28:46

Butternut, butter bean, coconut and basmati soup:

125ml basmati rice
1 ml turmeric
30 ml oil
1 large onion, finicky chopped
1 large butternut, peeled and cut I to small dice (600g prepared weight)
300g carrots, diced
7ml ground cumin
5 ml ground coriander
4cm piece fresh root Ginger, peeled and coarsly grated
2 stalks lemongrass, White part only, bruised
1x400ml can coconut milk
250ml chicken stock
Sea salt
1x400g butter beans, drained and rinsed
A large handful of fresh coriander leaves
Fresh lemon juice
Garam masala

Cook basmati rice as usual, adding turmeric to the cooking water. When done, cover and leave. You can reheat if working ahead.
For the soup, heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion until golden. (adding a pinch of sugar helps as there is no butter). Add the vegetables, spices, and ginger and toss until aromatic. Add the lemongrass, cocnut milk, stock and salt. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are soft - 45 minutes. If the veg are still chunky , remove the lemongras and use a potato masher to reduce the veg. Not too much, leave some texture.
Add beans and coriander and heat through. Then add just enough lemon juice to sharpen the taste.
If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock.
Ladle into bowls and gently place a spoonful of rice in the centre. Dust with garam masala.

That sounds lovely, Bling.

Does anybody have a recipe for a vegetarian chowder-like soup? maybe quite a Mexicanish spiced one?

lostlady Thu 11-Aug-11 20:40:24

Pleased it went down well! My favourite soup really, tho make a lot.

muslimah28 Fri 12-Aug-11 13:25:26

Charlotte I made the smoked haddock soup it ws delicious! As was the barley soup, thanks again Remus!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now