Talk

Advanced search

Peanut butter isn't a necessary food, is it?

(27 Posts)
bran Thu 04-Aug-11 23:01:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UltimateTurkey Thu 04-Aug-11 23:05:04

Ooh I totally disagree! Peanut butter is the best thing ever and I couldn't live without it! It's not too unhealthy esp if you get the low fat ones, it's high in protein and low in sugar and great for breakfast. Are you a marmite fan? I have a theory that folk like one or the other but never both!!

peeriebear Thu 04-Aug-11 23:06:00

I like both, sorry to disprove your theory!

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Aug-11 23:06:08

you're crazy! it's the most necessary food there is!

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Aug-11 23:06:24

i also like both. together.

SarkySpanner Thu 04-Aug-11 23:06:44

I love peanut butter and marmite. Mixed together on toast smile

DamselInDisarray Thu 04-Aug-11 23:07:09

My children have never had peanut butter and we've never had any in the house (it's vile). It was never in my house when I was growing up either.

They aren't going to die (or even suffer in any way, however minor) for lack of peanut butter.

bran Thu 04-Aug-11 23:07:55

bushymcbush Thu 04-Aug-11 23:08:51

I like both.

geraldinetheluckygoat Thu 04-Aug-11 23:08:55

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I loooove peanut butter (and jam) sandwiches. grin

You are Insane, OP.

bran Thu 04-Aug-11 23:11:41

Grockle Thu 04-Aug-11 23:15:26

I like both peanut butter and marmite (but not together - THAT is insane)).

Popbiscuit Thu 04-Aug-11 23:16:14

Peanut butter is brilliant. Great for DCs as it's a relatively inexpensive source of healthy fats and protein and FILLS THEM UP. Before school breakfast of champions is toast with PB and banana or a smoothie with milk, PB and banana or porridge with a blob of melty peanut butter and jam. After school snack of apples and PB or PB and crackers....
Peanut butter haters: try it with chocolate!
YUM.

thisisyesterday Thu 04-Aug-11 23:17:26

grockle, i thought it was insane too when my friend first told me about it.
but then it tried it and it's amazing!

UltimateTurkey Thu 04-Aug-11 23:18:20

Hehe my theory has been disproved then grin. on the bright side I've been looking for a new username since Xmas and I reckon UltimatePeanut has a good ring to it. Sorry for the thread hijack OP, how are you going to cope with having peanut butter in the house?

Pawsnclaws Thu 04-Aug-11 23:27:08

Ds1 was horribly underweight as a toddler - 0.2nd centile - and the dietician we saw strongly recommended peanut butter as a good filler due to the protein content.

Funny enough he also loves marmite - not keen myself.

Nothing better than a PB and mashed banana bagel IMO!

MumblingRagDoll Thu 04-Aug-11 23:32:44

It makes a good snack for DC,,,,better than a biscuit especially when you do vegetables for them to dip. YABU

UltimatePeanut Thu 04-Aug-11 23:33:49

<drools over the the thought of a toasted bagel with peanut butter and banana>
have to admit the thought of pb and marmite TOGETHER makes me boke a little bit in my mouth though

DitaVonCheese Thu 04-Aug-11 23:46:50

It is much nicer mixed with honey - makes it less claggy. Also DH recently purchased PB with chocolate chips in shock because he said it was the only smooth one he could see in the shop. I was obviously delighted horrified and have had to eat all of it to spare my precious PFB.

Incidentally, DD's favourite sandwich is honey, PB, jam and Marmite though I do leave out the jam if I think I can get away with it. I think the rest of it is relatively healthy (?) - never been tempted to try it though (Marmite, blegh).

Nihilisticbunny Fri 05-Aug-11 00:02:42

My neighbour as a child introduced me to cheese and peanut butter on toast, surprisingly nice.

Ripeberry Fri 05-Aug-11 00:05:54

Food of the devil. Marmite is much better for you!

sleepywombat Fri 05-Aug-11 00:10:29

GrimmaTheNome Fri 05-Aug-11 00:14:05

I quite like PB, but I'm sure you can make a convincing case that Nutella is much more essential to your their wellbeing.

bruffin Fri 05-Aug-11 00:24:12

Love paenut butter and marmite.
I have a desperate need to try Reeses puffs cereals at the moment. I only discovered it existed two weeks ago, when I saw it in Cybercandy, but at £6.50 a box it's not going to happen. DH was in San Diego two weeks before that, wish I'd known about it and he could have bought me some backsad

DitaVonCheese Fri 05-Aug-11 00:26:07

Nutella contains a whole hazelnut or whatever they claim in that mad it's-a-health-food-really ad grin

I can also recommend recently-discovered almond butter and would like to try cashew if it wasn't so darned elusive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now