Talk

Advanced search

Eating too many apples !

(13 Posts)
ooOOAMANDAOOoo Thu 04-Aug-11 08:25:27

Hello everyone, I've finally got round to joining mumsnet, my main motivation being to seek some help with this problem. Loads of parents I know can not get their children to eat fruit, my problem is the opposite, mine are eating far too many apples (4 - 5 a day) and I am really concerned about the acid eroding their teeth. My eldest (7 year old DS) is causing me the most concern as he is starting to loose his baby teeth and they are obviously worn from apple eating, I am keen to ensure that he does not damage his adult teeth. I am not sure what to offer as a low fat and healthy alternative especially as my 5 year old DD appears to have a much slower metabolism than my DS and could be prone to putting on weight. They are all allowed one banana a day and eat that too.. My two year old DD is following suit so I am really keen to find a solution soon.

Hope someone can help ...... thanks in advance!

Amanda

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 04-Aug-11 10:20:53

I am sorry to suggest that there could be anything wrong with eating so much fruit, but the question that comes to my mind is "why are they so hungry?" Do you give then enough breakfast? Snacking is either greed or to fill a gap. Apples are nice (I love them) but I don't think I like them enough to gorge on them greedily. Raspberries on the other hand.....

Aworryingtrend Thu 04-Aug-11 10:36:52

What about crudites such as red pepper, carrot and cucumber sticks as a healthy alternative? Do you think they are really hungry or just eating them because they are there?

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 10:45:52

you must have tonnes in your house.
are they bored?
i think you shoudl restrict them.
offer a drink of water/squash or some other alternative.

bamboostalks Thu 04-Aug-11 10:48:25

Do not have them available? Say no? Give them oatcakes and cheese. Are they hungry?

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 10:49:50

my ds loves apples and i never restricted his intake and his teeth are FINE. however id bout he had 4-5 a day. i would just run out and be continuously shopping.

ooOOAMANDAOOoo Thu 04-Aug-11 13:48:41

Thanks folks. I would not say that the kids are greedy or bored. They are very active and just requiring energy. They all eat 3 healthy and pretty sizeable meals a day and do not have access to any junk food (crisps, sweets etc).

Aworrying trend - thanks for your helpful response, they love peppers, carrots and cucumber so I think I'll start preparing a tub of 'sticks' and pop them in the fridge daily for them to help themselves to when they are hungry wink

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Aug-11 14:39:50

Buy fewer apples. Buy more bread and things like peanut butter and Nutella. Bananas are a good option. Offer milk drinks. Apples and raw vegetables are not all that filling.

pointydog Thu 04-Aug-11 14:56:41

Do 4 apples a day really erode people's teeth? I'm always sceptical of 'facts' like that.

chickflit Thu 04-Aug-11 14:59:42

My DS eats loads of apples a day more than 4-5, it's his snack of choice. I mentioned it to the dentist, he wasn't concerned. He brushes his teeth carefully.

I have yoghurt, cheese, bread etc on offer for snacks, DS prefers apples.

solidgoldbrass Thu 04-Aug-11 15:01:26

Apples are not very filling, though tasty and healthy. A range of different snacks sounds the best option.

Seona1973 Fri 05-Aug-11 09:15:28

I have heard that the biting into a whole apple can erode the front teeth as the teeth scrape down the sugary inside of the apple. Chopping it would help avoid the issue although would be a bit more work

pointydog Fri 05-Aug-11 20:57:17

I bet you have to eat a lot more than 4 apples a day to acid-strip your teeth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now