Talk

Advanced search

Friendship / Herman cakes. Who's made one and did it turn out ok?

(18 Posts)
Meglet Tue 02-Aug-11 22:41:27

Or are we all going to die of food poisoning as it's been sitting around 'growing' for a week? He doesn't smell (yet).

I've still got to 'feed' mine again this week. I think he gets cooked at the weekend. Have slightly lost track TBH.

I haven't really spoken to him much, just stirred him, usually while swearing under my breath about the dc's.

Meglet Wed 03-Aug-11 14:47:28

Bump.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 03-Aug-11 15:58:25

WTF is a Herman Cake?

Meglet Wed 03-Aug-11 19:27:01

It's a yeast based cake that sits on the side and you stir and add ingredients to over 10 days or so. Then before you add the final bits you split it and give a portion to 4 friends so they can start their own Herman cakes.

Based on a traditional Amish recipe AFAIK.

sockpoppet Wed 03-Aug-11 19:28:47

My Herman went black and mouldy. What did I do wrong?

5inthebed Wed 03-Aug-11 19:30:41

Mymam used to have one years ago, he was called Boris. From what I can remember, he lasted a few months and his cakes were delicious.

SixtyFootDoll Wed 03-Aug-11 19:32:03

My cake turned out ok, but my mix i passed on ran out of yeast and my friends had to chuck it away.

Meglet Wed 03-Aug-11 19:38:14

Mine's been on the side for a week and (amazingly in this heat) still isn't moudly and smells fine. There's an awful lot of sugar in him though.

I've lost track of what day I need to 'feed' him, think it's today.

SixtyFootDoll Wed 03-Aug-11 19:51:18

The cake was very sweet, bit like stollen. I took it imtomwork and everyone survived.

Meglet Wed 03-Aug-11 20:05:23

Ah, I like stollen. I have to cook it on saturday so I'll report back. I'm going to add mixed fruit to it, can't do nuts because of ds's allergies and my collegue tried chocolate and hers went wrong.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 03-Aug-11 20:07:23

my FIL had one, it tasted absolutely amazing. Enjoy!

zorgmoid Wed 03-Aug-11 20:09:33

I killed mine blush. It scared me

Meglet Fri 12-Aug-11 15:44:55

Just coming back to report that my Herman cake was rather good, even if I do say so myself. I added mixed fruit and cranberries to it in the end. Tasted rather like Christmas cake.

I have a couple of mini Hermans portioned off in the fridge so I'll cook them next week. No friends to give them to as everyone has either cooked one or on hols.

givemushypeasachance Sat 13-Aug-11 19:50:19

Mmm, Herman... I did one a while back and it was tasty!

Here is a starter recipe if anyone is interested.

Taffeta Sun 14-Aug-11 19:11:45

I made one a few months ago and the middle didn't cook - it needed prob an extra 20 -30 mins in the oven over what the recipe said

nocake Sun 14-Aug-11 19:28:34

DW made one and it was lovely. I'm sure she won't mind me telling you that she isn't great at baking cakes (I normally make them) but Herman was light and delicious.

edam Sun 14-Aug-11 20:04:22

Someone I know did this, she added grated apple. Apparently turned out OK... (I didn't get to taste it so have no idea whether that's true or not.)

sassyTHEFIRST Sun 14-Aug-11 20:07:46

It was OK. I was dubious to say the least. Think we had a slice or two each then the rest hung around for a day or so and I binned it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now