Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for chicken drumsticks please

(13 Posts)
RedAmberGreen Tue 02-Aug-11 19:39:21

I've got a tray of chicken drumsticks that i've defrosted from the freezer, I want to use them for tea tomorrow but have no idea what to do with them. I'd thought about BBQ sauce but I don't think i've got the right ingredients.

I'm looking for ideas now in case I can get them in a nice sauce overnight, can anyone suggest anything that my little ones would also like?

Batteryhuman Tue 02-Aug-11 20:57:36

soy and honey

RedAmberGreen Tue 02-Aug-11 22:02:38

Battery thanks for the suggestion, I've not got either of those in the cupboard! Maybe I should have started a thread about what the cupboard basics are as I have a feeling my cupboards are lacking smile

scurryfunge Tue 02-Aug-11 22:05:41

Sea salt and black pepper.

RedAmberGreen Tue 02-Aug-11 22:15:03

scurryfunge I've got that! grin thankyou

startail Tue 02-Aug-11 22:18:38

Roast with roughly chopped onion, a tin of butter beans and some segments of orange.
Or more simply lemon and thyme.

BlingLoving Tue 02-Aug-11 22:26:48

My "secret" marinade:

Ketchup - big squirt as its the core of the marinade
Olive oil - enough to thin the ketchup and add some greasiness
Lemon juice - big squirt from half a lemon. If you dont have lemon, use a tablespoon or so of vinegar, or even wine. This is an essential ingredient : the alcohol/acid makes the chicken tender
Garlic (if you have)
Mixed herbs- thyme, Rosemary, sage etc or premixed.

Marinate for 10 minutes or overnight.

Grill, turning often, and basting. Should only take about 15 mins if they are just drumsticks. they may get a little burnt where the marinade gets hot. That just adds to flavour.

tethersend Tue 02-Aug-11 22:30:30

What spices have you got in?

omnishambles Tue 02-Aug-11 22:33:34

Tandoori - natural yoghurt and whatever vague spices you have - ie garam masala mix or turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, ginger and garlic (not all of these obviously if you dont want to and I leave out the cayenne for my dc).

Cut slices in the drumsticks and cover in mixture then marinate overnight.

Cook on a wire rack over a tray with foil on to prevent mess.

RedAmberGreen Tue 02-Aug-11 22:56:44

I've got dried parsley, italian herb mix, cajun powder, dried marjoram, garlic, chillies.... I think that's it. I could do with restocking my herbs and spices really blush

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 22:59:23

The Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall herb marinade for chicken drumsticks is a total winner. You just need lemon and whatever herbs you have around. I'll hunt for it now.

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 23:03:34

Oh, x post. about the herbs. But if you're going to the shops and felt like buying herbs the recipe is here This blog's put tarragon, but I've never used that - just some combo of chives/parsley/rosemary/coriander/basil.

RedAmberGreen Tue 02-Aug-11 23:11:57

Thanks everyone at least i can get my cupboard filled with the right things for next time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now