Talk

Advanced search

Egg question- can I use a week after best befire date?

(13 Posts)
Holymoly321 Tue 02-Aug-11 13:31:27

Am making packet fudge cake mix and it needs three eggs. The ones in fridge are 7 days after best before date. Could I use them in the cake?

AMumInScotland Tue 02-Aug-11 13:37:13

Yes - but crack them in a separate bowl individually just in case!

Paschaelina Tue 02-Aug-11 13:38:59

put them in a bowl of water. Good eggs will touch the bottom. If they float they're off.

bettieblue Tue 02-Aug-11 13:39:45

Put it in a bowl of water, if it floats it means it has air in it and you shouldn't use it. Im guessing it will be ok it is only a week after best before date.

ShowOfHands Tue 02-Aug-11 13:42:48

Noooooooooooo. A chicken will hatch in your stomach.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 02-Aug-11 14:25:59

Eggs last for ages in the fridge. 'Best Before' doesn't mean 'kills afterwards'. I'm really cavalier about egg sell-bys and have never met a rotten one yet.

bacon Tue 02-Aug-11 15:19:25

agree with above always test in water. Never bother with dates. As long as they dont pop right up and float then they are fine. Never any food waste!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 02-Aug-11 15:30:58

I think the dates on eggs are based on the assumption that they aren't refrigerated (they aren't in shops) - so in a fridge they keep way longer.

But do the float test and crack separately and sniff to be sure.

Holymoly321 Tue 02-Aug-11 19:55:59

Thanks everyone- hate to waste food!

Daydreaming Tue 02-Aug-11 21:16:00

Yes, I am really careful with meat, but eggs last for ages in the fridge - but as others have pointed out, it's best to crack them in a separate bowl just in case (I do that even with fresh eggs).

DitaVonCheese Thu 04-Aug-11 23:51:04

Eggs last forever, even not in the fridge ime. I've never had a rotten one yet. DH says that when he was a wee lad, he once begged his mum to let him keep some eggs for months so they'd be rotten and then was extremely disappointed when he cracked them and they were fine.

AmberLeaf Thu 04-Aug-11 23:55:35

The only rotten one I had was in date!

I have used them a month after the use by date...still here.

littleyellowchicken Sun 07-Aug-11 22:47:09

Of course. We have chickens and even when one girl appears not to be laying for ages and then we find a little mountain of eggs she has been storing for goodness knows how long, there are rarely any rotten ones. We keep them for ages. Float any you're worried about in water - floaters (with gas pockets) are possibly on their way out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now