Talk

Advanced search

Masterchef challenge. What would you make with...

(7 Posts)
Aworryingtrend Tue 02-Aug-11 08:49:56

- chicken breasts
- mushrooms
-creme fraiche
- lemons
- white wine
- assortment of other veg
- all the usual store cupboard ingredients and spices

That list sounds like I should be able to make something really nice but my mind has gone blank. Not keen on anyhting mustardy.

TIA

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 02-Aug-11 12:31:07

I'd marinade the chicken breasts cut in a big dice, the mushrooms and some chunky cut onions/peppers in a little lemon juice, oil and some spices and thread them on skewers. Then grate some cucumber, press out the liquid and stir into the creme fraiche with salt & cayenne pepper. Grill the skewers & serve with a little brown rice and a side of the cucumber sauce. Glass of chilled wine.

spout Tue 02-Aug-11 12:36:41

if it wasn't so blardy hot and I had some pastry in the freezer I'd bung all that in a pie.

today I'd probably do a chicken, mushroom and lemon risotto (or pasta) with a big green salad on the side.

echo Cogito's glass of wine grin

starfishmummy Tue 02-Aug-11 12:38:25

Chicken - grilled or roast and then served with a sauce made from the creme fraiche, lemons and mushrooms, herbs of your choice - ideally fresh or dried at a pinch (!) . Add wine if you like (or drink it on the side)
Serve with vegaetables or salad and maybe rice or pasta or crusty bread.

ChrissasMissis Tue 02-Aug-11 12:42:47

Ooh - I love this kind of question!

I would suggest marinading the chicken breasts in a splash of the wine, some lemon zest, dried thyme and some salt and pepper. Leave it for at least two hours, then grill, pan fry or griddle.

I would then make a lovely cream sauce for the chicken. Sweat some very finely chopped onion with butter in a pan until soft, then add a clove of minced garlic. Pour a glass of wine into the pan and reduce on a high heat. When reduced by half, add a couple of good dollops of the creme fraiche. Add salt and pepper and if you have it, some chopped parsley. Slice the mushrooms finely and add to the sauce. Cook gently over a medium heat until thy are softened.

To serve, dress the chicken with the sauce and accompany with whatever vegetables you have to hand.

Does that help?

zzzzz Tue 02-Aug-11 12:45:42

Cut up the veg into small chunks, chicken as well, stuff them in a baking tin with a handful of spices [I like coriander and cumin seeds olive oil, chili sauce and salt], roast it all and serve it with some bread, and creme fraiche and cucumber, if you have mango and tomatoes make a cold chopped up chutney too.....it is tooooooooo hot for proper cooking.

Aworryingtrend Wed 03-Aug-11 08:55:35

Thanks for the good ideas everyone. I went with Chrissa's suggestion and it was yummy. That was an excellent tip (although probably everyone else aleady knew this..)about adding the mushrooms to the sauce and heating gently rather than frying the mushrooms first. It stopped the sauce going all grey. DH wolfed his dinner down in 2 minutes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now